Author Topic: (Help) Re-Installing all the Chrome trim on a 71 cuda  (Read 134 times)

Offline ethanv22

(Help) Re-Installing all the Chrome trim on a 71 cuda
« on: June 20, 2017 - 10:15:04 am »
Hello, I have been restoring a 71 cuda and have come to the process of reattaching the chrome trim. Aside from the trim that goes on the wheel wells, I need to know whether or not to use the metal 'clips' or just silicon the trim into their places. If i were to use an adhesive around the rear window it would also help to stop any water from getting in which was a reason to use the silicon in the first place. Would it be better to just use silicon to stick the Trim in place? There are so many differences in the clips to use that im wondering if silicone would be easier. thanks.

Offline 340challconvert

Re: (Help) Re-Installing all the Chrome trim on a 71 cuda
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017 - 10:55:10 am »
The correct molding clips are available reproduction. I believe front and rear clips were different as well as a difference in the clips from a 70 to a 71.

I would suggest installing the correct clips for the molding.  I think the 71's had a stud rather then a screw.
I am now in the process of installing my windshield with 3m window weld, basically dum dum, which is the way the factory originally did it.

Many people use a secondary sealer around the window to fill in the gap between the glass and the body in the window channel as extra insurance, which I will be doing.

If you choose to use the secondary sealer such as silicone, install the moldings right away.
It is tough to get them to sit right once the silicone cures. Make sure the channel is as clean as possible so that the silicone will adhere.

Good luck with the job.  Window leaks are a pain and sometimes difficult to fix.
1970 A66 340 Y-1 convertible