Author Topic: Paperwork for selling a Cuda?  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Deadeye74X2

Paperwork for selling a Cuda?
« on: May 23, 2017 - 07:47:19 PM »
I have every receipt I ever got for my Cuda since I bought it in 1989. My question is what to include when selling it? The resto work and any high ticket items are a given...but what about the ones that dont even list what it was for? I mean I have a receipt for every nut, washer, wax you name it. I tried to write on what it was for but that didnt always happen. What about the ones that have credit card...addresses on them? What is the norm?

Offline Beekeeper

Re: Paperwork for selling a Cuda?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017 - 09:18:04 PM »
Ideally, folks who buy would want as many receipts as you'd be willing to provide as it removes guesswork on what's been done. That said, receipts are not a deal killer at all in my opinion.

If I were buying your car, I'd take the time to have a long conversation with you about the car. Any buyer who is paying attention quickly starts to see what doesn't quite add up. I do this with cars I sell and at some point, the buyer is absolutely satisfied that you are not trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

To be honest, you could probably not provide any receipts and still have no issues selling the car. If they thoroughly check out the car, talk to you in detail about it, and if it's priced fairly, it will sell with or without receipts.

Buyers will definitely want all license plates, title, fender tags, build sheets, old documentation, etc.

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017 - 09:37:41 PM »
Agreed it wouldn't be a deal killer, but as a buyer I'd want everything possible.
I keep detailed records in the form of a spreadsheet and all the receipts as well.

Offline Deadeye74X2

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017 - 07:47:31 PM »
I agree..and I want to give the buyer everything possible concerning the car...my issue is with my personal info on the receipts. I know my name will be known of course...but I have had this car 28 years so lots of old addresses and credit card numbers on them, and some things with my drivers license #. I was thinking of getting one of those redaction markers...but do it nice and clean so they dont look like a 4 year old got a hold of them with a crayon. What do you guys think?

I did the spreadsheets as well Katfish...with all my cars starting in the 80's. In fact I started them on Lotus 123...later on moved them to Quattro Pro...and just had to download a converter to put them on Excel. That will help the buyer figure out most of the receipts...but I also had another car and the wife's as well I was buying for at the same time. Usually I marked which was for which in that scenario though.

As far as the license plates...in Maryland you have to turn in your tags when you drop insurance...so those are gone.

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017 - 12:04:42 AM »
I would black out all that personal info and give up the receipts.
I always want as much paperwork as you are willing to give. 

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017 - 12:04:58 AM »
Do you have your car listed?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline 4mayhemi

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017 - 02:08:39 AM »
Your "analness" with receipts could give a buyer comfort and reinforce your asking price. But don't give them that info even if expired.

Do you have Post-It Cover Up tape and a copier? Give them copies, not originals, and you can combine multiple small receipts on one page. The cut tape pieces can be reused over and over. If it seems like a lot of work, maybe just do major items. My "analness" has me regretting that I never kept my paperwork from previous cars.

Offline TelisSE440

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017 - 03:57:03 AM »
 :iagree:

Offline Racer57

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017 - 08:50:58 AM »
Give them the paperwork that verifies the selling points. Camshaft, head work, rear end rebuild, new brakes, etc.   The nuts and bolts type of sales I wouldn't worry about.

Offline 340-FOUR- BARRELL

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017 - 09:59:32 PM »
Be vigilant. Don't release financial information via receipts. The best paperwork is a clear title/current registration.

Offline Deadeye74X2

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017 - 01:32:30 PM »
Cuda Hunter...no I dont have the car listed anywhere yet...just trying to organize and prep so I and present the facts and try and figure out a starting price.

I had thought of copying everything and edit it on the computer...but 28 years of receipts would be tedious. I will just get a redaction marker and give them all of it. If they want to verify the spreadsheet that an oil change was done on a certain date they can sort through the receipts for it themselves.

I appreciate the help guys.