Author Topic: noisy vavletrain on passenger side  (Read 594 times)

Offline xtopfuel

Re: noisy vavletrain on passenger side
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017 - 11:40:10 am »
great idea

Offline chargerdon

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017 - 02:34:48 pm »
just out of curiosity have you dumped the initial oil from the rebuild? I don't suggest running the engine with rocker covers off, I do suggest removing the rockers and closely inspecting the tips for abnormal wear can also check for a collapsed lifter by pushing the rocker downward into the lifter, you should not have the strength to compress

I am fairly certain that it is not torque converter bolts loose.   Also, i re-torqued the header bolts but they werent loose, so doubt if leaking exhaust.

Yes, I have changed the oil and filter recently...   I didnt notice anything in the oil, but, i didnt strain it either. 

I will recheck each rocker to see if i can manually compress one... and then remove the rockers and look for any abnormal wear...   If that all negative, i guess it is time to try pulling each lifter and examine...   Ive never pulled lifters with the intake manifold on, so going to buy an extractor and give it a try...   Ill start on cylinders 8 and 6 as to my ear it sounds like the back cylinders.   Still a mystery to me, as, it doesn't sound like a normal valve tick, but more of a "clatter". 
Thanks for the suggestions.

Offline xtopfuel

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017 - 07:11:01 pm »
If you pull lifters or even rockers post pics of them

Offline Flatdad

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017 - 01:57:43 pm »
About the numbers stamped into the rockers. The big block rocker sets that I've cleaned up before were a mixed bag for part numbers. Even on an engine where I was the first one to take it apart. Out of 3 engines and 6 assemblies, I don't believe any 1 set completely matched.
'70 Road Runner-B7 383 Auto, now with more cubes
'97 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4-Bright Red 318 magnum
'67 Belvedere II-Dark Blue 318 Auto, now owned by my brother
'73 Challenger Rallye-B5 318 Auto, had a 360 in it, SOLD :(
'42 Harley Davidson 42WLA-U.S. army green 45ci flathead
'71 Challenger R/T-B5 383 Auto, now 400 powered and rusty!
'86 W100-Yellow 318-2bbl 4x4 4spd, off road toy