Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: CARBS: EDDY VS HOLLEY VS ??  (Read 288 times)

Offline CUDA8U

CARBS: EDDY VS HOLLEY VS ??
« on: April 19, 2017 - 01:43:09 pm »
 My old engine was a 440/500hp,It came with a 750 eddy carb and I could just tell it needed more so I put a holley 850 no choke on,my first trip had it coughing off the line but felt stronger already.After watching a few youtube tuning vids and talking with a Mopar guy I changed squirters 2-3 times,vacuum guage tuned,set levels in bowls,cleaned the plugs etc.The final test drive I hammered the gas and my cell phone flew right off the dash into the back seat,I swear it gained 50-60hp just from a carb/tune :bananasmi  I have duel eddy 600's on my 512 stroker and have tried tuning many times which out success,after talking with a few shops I was told to pull them off and use holleys.I'm sure they can be tuned but I want to go to a single or efi.I like the proforms and quick fuels too,I have heard good things.

Offline Strawdawg

• Resident
    • Vortex Buicks
Re: CARBS: EDDY VS HOLLEY VS ??
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017 - 02:48:32 pm »
you might define your actual question better :)

Proform and QF are basically modern Holley's.  The QF guys are ex Holley engineers that wanted to do it better.  Holley has done some catching up with their latest models.

I would bet that a poll would find many that prefer the holley "style" better as they are probably easier to tune, or to get help in tuning them.

Throttlebody fuel injection is basically a modern carburetor that should provide better drivability, cold start, and fuel mileage.

Port fuel injection is where the best performance across the board comes from and offers better everything altho it may not make quite as much peak power in some cases...but it may make more average power "under the curve"  It tends to let you have your cake and eat it too...

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017 - 03:16:12 pm »
same here, replaced an eddy on my 440 with a Holley, and the engine came alive
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.
Up to 4000 RPM, Warp Speed, Up to 5000, Rediculous Speed, Up to 6000 RPM, Ludicrous Speed!

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017 - 04:38:01 pm »
No comparison between the Eddy's and the Holley's in performance or tuneability. Holley wins in just about every measurable statistic. The advantage to the Eddy's is there ability to crank up and run right out of the box. That's the way lots of drivers want it - simple.
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017 - 04:55:27 pm »
No comparison between the Eddy's and the Holley's in performance or tuneability. Holley wins in just about every measurable statistic. The advantage to the Eddy's is there ability to crank up and run right out of the box. That's the way lots of drivers want it - simple.

then you smash the throttle, and wonder where the power went.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.
Up to 4000 RPM, Warp Speed, Up to 5000, Rediculous Speed, Up to 6000 RPM, Ludicrous Speed!

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017 - 08:21:14 am »
I have a 650 Eddy on my 340. When I smash the pedal it's all power, there's no wondering.
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline CUDA8U

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017 - 12:14:07 am »
I have a 650 Eddy on my 340. When I smash the pedal it's all power, there's no wondering.

Ibet if you tune a holley on it you will be a fan :bigsmile:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017 - 03:15:17 pm »
No question here at all the
Holley & Holley style  carbs are far better
Best bang for the $$  Proform ,  Qf is awesome too just a few more $$

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t