Author Topic: EBAY SCUM!  (Read 2782 times)

Offline 1carhunter

EBAY SCUM!
« on: March 31, 2015 - 04:29:53 pm »
 :villagers:
Yesterday morning, my wife placed a bid on a Challenger listed on EBAY (a few days left in the auction).  Later in the afternoon we got an email from the "dealer" (Duffy's) asking if we would like some information on the car and noted that most of their deals where completed outside of EBAY, often before the bidding was complete.  I couldn't figure out how they got my email?????

Today, I received a call from a salesman at Duffy's on my unlisted cell # (WTF???), asking for my wife and wanted to know if he could answer any questions about the Challenger we are bidding on?  I said no, and hung up after a little round and round.

I called EBAY (pissed off) and asked how this dealer got my email and phone number???  EBAY said that they have an agreement with "dealers" that they can share bidders information as "leads" for the dealers to complete their sales???  EBAY told me this information is in your "user agreement."  NICE!

I cancelled her bid on this car because if I wanted to deal with a used car salesman, I would go down to the lot an get molested!  Besides, doesn't the EBAY policy tell you not to arrange purchases outside EBAY???? 

One more reason EBAY SUCKS!

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: EBAY SCUM!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015 - 04:46:56 pm »
Anything from a dealer is going to be overpriced.  This one is no different.  $30K for a 73 318 car...  The car looks familiar.  I think the owner was on this site(and others) trying to sell it.  If I remember correctly, it's a low mile survivor with an engine transplant.  When it was listed on here, he still had the original 318.  I wonder if it comes with the car?

http://www.duffys.com/inventory/view/8068024/1972-dodge-challenger%20with%20340%20six%20pack%20/

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015 - 04:47:47 pm »
 :popcorn:     Thats very interesting, don't blame you for being pissed.

Offline 1carhunter

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015 - 04:55:04 pm »
To add to my anguish, EBAY referred me to their policy.  It contradicts itself!

"You can't offer to buy items outside of eBay.
Our policies don't cover items bought outside of our site. If you buy items outside of eBay, we don't protect you against fraud. Sellers must follow the same rule, so if a seller offers to sell you something outside of eBay, don't accept the offer. For more information, see our rules for everyone.

"When you bid on or buy a vehicle in eBay Motors, we may share your contact information with sellers.
Sellers may also contact you about that vehicle or a similar one for sale. Learn more about eBay Motors bidding."

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015 - 05:23:48 pm »
Why wouldn't you report this Ebay seller to Ebay accusing them of trying to sell you the car outside of EBay's parameters ?

Personally if I was seriously interested enough in buying a car to actually place a bid, then I wouldn't mind discussing the car with the owners....although I would prefer to call them at my convenience, not theirs :dunno: 
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015 - 05:26:29 pm »
Why wouldn't you report this Ebay seller to Ebay accusing them of trying to sell you the car outside of EBay's parameters ?

Personally if I was seriously interested enough in buying a car to actually place a bid, then I wouldn't mind discussing the car with the owners....although I would prefer to call them at my convenience, not theirs :dunno:
                                                               :iagree:  Yep   :iagree:

Offline 1carhunter

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015 - 06:03:00 pm »
I did contact EBAY as described above.  I too, thought this would be an issue.  Apparently not. :dunno:

As far as the inspection, call Duffy's.  They will probably give you my wife's cell # and you can ask her about her bidding strategy on hideous color combo cars.  :bigsmile:

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015 - 07:52:44 pm »
 :roflsmiley:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline Bart

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015 - 05:19:07 pm »
I tried to deal with Duffy's I wouldn't call them again if I they had the last Cuda for a dollar, well maybe a dollar......
1970 Cuda 383
2008 Titan
2010 G37s