Author Topic: Hamtramck Registry EBay stink!  (Read 6650 times)

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
Re: Hamtramck Registry EBay stink!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014 - 04:30:30 pm »
What came first the chicken or the egg ?

No one can really answer your question either.

Most of your #2 examples have only small sections of the cars (the ones with the numbers) transfered which is considerably less then 25%. :2cents:

I've seen rebodies where they just fill those numbers with bondo and the restored car has no visible numbers :screwy:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline RzeroB

• In The Lou and looking for a new (old) ride
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014 - 04:58:16 pm »
Yeah its a very debatable and sometimes hotly contested subject for sure!

If you completely rebuild your car with brand new AMD metal replacing everything except the cowl, radiator support and VIN (it was EXTREMELY rusty but you are a glutton for punishment and have an endless supply of time and $$$) would it be considered a "rebody" being that it was for all intents and purposes "rebodied" using all new AMD metal? :dunno: But if it turned out where all of the body lines lined up and looked like new, it would certainly be a monumental testament to some really superior metal working and welding skills! :2thumbs:

The debate rages on .... :swear:
Cheers!
Tom
St Louis, MO

Former owner of 16 classic Mopars. "It is better to have owned (Mopars) and lost then to have never owned at all" (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Offline 1carhunter

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014 - 05:18:14 pm »
Could you please post  photos of car including the numbers on the body, fender tag and dash vin? I'm fairly sure that I can get the photos to him now that he's moved to PA and see if I can help you get any mistakes corrected on his site.  That's about the best way I can see to help you.

Do you have any other suggestions to get this resolved?

My last post must have went too far.  :bigsmile: It isn't on the wall!!  Pulled????? say it isn't so.  Or did I just hit the wrong button? :chatting:

Simply put "again", Barry's black flag list claims people are or have "illegally" sold something on EBay.  It does not say how he determined this or show any written or photographic proof to buttress his claims.  Now these people are labeled criminals????  The old guy I was dealing with seemed honest and the car was crappy but ligit.  But what do I know, I met him in person.

Maybe, just maybe, it would be a good idea to only post the information Barry sees as pertinent to the car's authenticity before he labels someone a criminal and their car worthless.  Due diligence goes both ways.  Let the buyers decide and Barry give some proof.

As far as posting the pictures????  You are kidding right?  This guy was not exactly open to photo shoot after what Barry did to him.  And I sure didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday :villagers:  I did my inspection capably in person. 

I am still surprised there would be any oppostion to this idea. 

POST THE FACTS BARRY! Not your opinion!  Let the buyer decide!!!! :horse:

Offline scarpent1

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014 - 08:10:49 pm »
What about when Dynacorn releases their Challenger body?  I would rather have a car with a new body than one that has been pieced together with original, donor and new sheet metal.  It appears that Dynacorn on their site even advocates moving the VIN from your car to the new body.  Would this then be black flagged?

Offline 1carhunter

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014 - 08:22:49 pm »
Amen brother!  After seeing them I sent them an email regarding a Barracuda body.  They currently have no plans for one.   Bummer. 

Camaro bodies are a hot seller too!

The whole issue of what Barry deems as illegal is nonsense.  I will stick with the letter of the law not Barry's opinion.

Keep you rusty old buggy crusty.  Now THAT"S original.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014 - 08:24:48 pm »
With any new car body you can get a state issued VIN no problem.  Moving partial VIN's from old cars panels to new panels is okay in most states because they are not full VIN's (cowl / rad numbers for example) and it's done to maintain the cars authenticity, but moving a Dash VIN of a car for the purpose of misleading a prospective buyer or misrepresenting a car is something that would most likely be fraud.  Some states allow moving a dash vin (under specific circumstances) as long as a State Patrol officer is present when it's done.  Do your homework in the state you live and use common sense.  If you're trying to pass off a car as something it's not for personal gain you're most likely running a risk of getting in trouble.

What about when Dynacorn releases their Challenger body?  I would rather have a car with a new body than one that has been pieced together with original, donor and new sheet metal.  It appears that Dynacorn on their site even advocates moving the VIN from your car to the new body.  Would this then be black flagged?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014 - 08:31:38 pm by C O D Y »
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014 - 08:29:52 pm »
From what I've heard it's illegal to sell a VIN of a car or Title without the car.  So depending on how the ad was written when it was posted on ebay over 10 years ago that could be the confusion.  That is just a guess on what the confusion might be.  If you want to get everything corrected you'll need to be proactive in coming up with a solution.  Telling BARRY to post the facts on a site he doesn't visit isn't going to get anything done.  If you want to buy the car and take on the restoration then I say good for you.  This is your first time on this site and you'll find many guys here that are super nice and very helpful.  If your main goal is to get to Barry and change his mind, you'll need to try a different site that he actually visits.

If it means anything, I own(ed) a car on Barry's Black Flag list and it's fair to say it should be on there.  I knew what it was when I bought it and went in to it buying it as parts. It's since been completely parted out and all I have left is the fender tag, title and the 4 speed trans.  Not a car that will ever see the road again.

My last post must have went too far.  :bigsmile: It isn't on the wall!!  Pulled????? say it isn't so.  Or did I just hit the wrong button? :chatting:

Simply put "again", Barry's black flag list claims people are or have "illegally" sold something on EBay.  It does not say how he determined this or show any written or photographic proof to buttress his claims.  Now these people are labeled criminals????  The old guy I was dealing with seemed honest and the car was crappy but ligit.  But what do I know, I met him in person.

Maybe, just maybe, it would be a good idea to only post the information Barry sees as pertinent to the car's authenticity before he labels someone a criminal and their car worthless.  Due diligence goes both ways.  Let the buyers decide and Barry give some proof.

As far as posting the pictures????  You are kidding right?  This guy was not exactly open to photo shoot after what Barry did to him.  And I sure didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday :villagers:  I did my inspection capably in person. 

I am still surprised there would be any oppostion to this idea. 

POST THE FACTS BARRY! Not your opinion!  Let the buyer decide!!!! :horse:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline rUNCHARGER

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014 - 11:27:52 pm »
Let me put it another way. I think I am a reasonable astute person and can make my own decisions. I would not make a decision to buy a car based on another person's opinion of it. However if I did see it flagged on Barry's site at least that information would alert me to check things closer. If after that personal inspection by me I would decide to buy it or not. So if the car in question was repaired correctly then the buyer wouldn't have anything to worry about would he? If you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I do not let other people spend my money (or tell me not to).
I've had personal experience with a few friend that rebodied cars and the story was always "I have nothing to hide if I ever sell it I'll disclose everything". Yeah well then I've innocently talked to subsequent owners of said cars and I was the A-hole for calling the cars what they were. I lost friends over that but if those friends couldn't tell the truth, then they weren't friends to start with.

Sheldon

Offline 1carhunter

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014 - 11:48:37 pm »
I agree with your opinion Sheldon.  Still want Barry to post the facts and let us decide.  As stated, saying someone is engaged in illegal activity is uncalled for.

Offline 340challconvert

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014 - 11:00:59 am »
I think it is to our benefit that Barry posts cars that might be questionable and allow anyone to make their decision on the status of a car for possible purchase.  There are too many fraudulent individuals who still prey on people who are less knowledgeable about VIN specifics.  Hamtrackhistoric is a good "reference point" to review a car prior to a purchase.  It just helps to raise reasonable doubt about a car and allow someone to reexamine the car in question.  The cuda-challenger blog is also an excellent place to ask for help if there are doubts. If I were in the market for a car to "make money" I would want to know more about the vehicle.  If a buyer is hot on the car and their own research pans out, you accept the car on your own discretion knowing its possible flaws.  I have benefited from the information that is posted on hamtrackhistorical.  The buyer should be happy at least knowing of any "possible issues".  The seller on the other had should be doing full disclosure to the best of his/her knowledge.

Years ago Barry mailed me information about my car that he had a copy of free of charge.  It is a lot of work to maintain the informational site and he makes  no money; he maintains it as a mopar enthusiast.
Frankly, if a car had a high level of metal repair, I would want to know and the price could be adjusted as warranted. If it were re-bodied; this raises other issues. The comments made by the last few posters makes sense and I concur that you do your own due diligence  then make your own decision based on your own criteria. 
70convert

1970 A66 340 Y-1 convertible

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014 - 11:20:41 am »
 :iagree: When you are buying one of these cars you better do your due diligence and research.  If something popped up about the car I was looking at and I don't care if it was a black flag, blue flag, red flag, or checkered flag, bet your bottom dollar that I would be concerned and doing some more digging before I plunk down a stack of cash.  It's sites like this one, Barry's, ebodies only, moparts, etc that provides us 40+ years of information at your fingertips.  It is ultimately your decision what you do with it.

Offline 1carhunter

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014 - 11:44:37 am »
Once again, appreciate the input from Barry supporters.  I too like the site he built and appreciate most of what he did.

And once again, all he has to do if he feels the burden to help, is post FACTS about the cars and let us decide.  Stating on a site that someone has done something illegal and letting us wonder what it was exactly?????......not right!  If you go through the Black Flag section and scanned through the large number of cars he has branded, you will find "Illegally selling VIN and Fender Tag, Parts car" often.  Some say sold illegally.  WOW!  Good call detective, lets right up the report and call it a night!

Still find it hard to believe anyone supports this Black Flag section as it is currently is formatted. With how sharp I know his friend Johan Ronkainen is with computers, I'm sure they could easily post the information they used to deem  cars unfit and cast people as criminals.

Offline HP_Cuda

• Hit the skinny little pedal on the right!
  • Sr. Resident
  • Mopar or No Car!
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014 - 01:47:33 pm »

I really don't understand what the problem is carhunter. If you checked the car out and it was completely legit why are you hung up on what someone else said? Try this on:

1) Inspect car
2) Find out its legit
3) Buy car
4) Pay someone like GG to paper the car
5) Go on your merry way

I find any more discussion on this matter pretty moot and is now  :horse:
1970 Cuda Clone 440 4 speed - sublime green
1970 Cuda 383 4 speed - yellow - SOLD

Offline Sleepychallenger

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014 - 02:08:41 pm »
I really don't understand what the problem is carhunter. If you checked the car out and it was completely legit why are you hung up on what someone else said? Try this on:

1) Inspect car
2) Find out its legit
3) Buy car
4) Pay someone like GG to paper the car
5) Go on your merry way

I find any more discussion on this matter pretty moot and is now  :horse:
:iagree:

Offline 1carhunter

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014 - 06:02:28 pm »
I agree too!