Author Topic: rear axle end play  (Read 6610 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: rear axle end play
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009 - 05:58:04 PM »
I can usually tighten my flange bolts all the way down then still turn the adjuster if it is backed out. Does your sure-grip use the pins and rivet? Maybe the pins aren't end to end in there.  Can you get in there with a long rod or broom handle on both sides and push that block or pins back and forth?   Has to be something with the sure grip if you had ajustment before you installed it.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009 - 06:03:48 PM »
Thanks Rob, I'll find a way to check the pins.

Wade
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009 - 08:52:16 AM »
Bullitt, you went from a single track to a cone type sure grip. So the center pin is in there. You need to take all the adjustment out, install the non adjusting axle then re adjust the other.  It will work right once you have everything seated in and correct. I will be stopping by your house soon and we can check it out together

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009 - 09:17:41 AM »
Bullitt, you went from a single track to a cone type sure grip. So the center pin is in there. You need to take all the adjustment out, install the non adjusting axle then re adjust the other.  It will work right once you have everything seated in and correct. I will be stopping by your house soon and we can check it out together

Yes Wade,  I can't see why you can't turn that adjuster all the way out, bolt in both axles, then be able to push and pull both axles and feel the slop. Then you start turning the adjuster and feel the slop tightening up.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009 - 01:05:43 PM »
Moparal stopped by today & brought his axle puller, he loosened slammed & yanked the right axle & we could get some movement although very little. He left me with instructions that I have followed.   I loosened both retaining collars, reseated the left axle & tightened the collar worked the right axle in and out to try to free up but it never did, even with the collar loose all it would move was maybe the thickness of a dime. I then slammed it in, tightened the collar with the adjuster all the way out/loose.  There is still no free-play although using the axle puller I can move it in & out about 1/2 the thickness of a dime.   Axles/rear turns freely.
  I think I should put it back in the car & after I can drive it a bit check this again as some heat & movement may free things up.....Sound Good?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009 - 01:07:23 PM by Bullitt- »
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009 - 01:33:00 PM »
should work fine  :2thumbs:
 it sounds to me like th eouter race is tight in the housing & not sliding in onto the brg all the way but as long as you do not have vertical movement of the axle & snug it as best as you can you should be OK

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009 - 04:08:52 PM »
Sounds like your housing is bent a little. The only time I've needed an axle puller was to yank out the axles of the Chally that I totalled. Were they hard to get out when you still had the other set of gears in it? My axles slide in and out with friction but I can still yank them out with both hands on the axle.  All three of my rear ends.
Rob

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009 - 04:40:39 PM »
Rob, Not any problem getting them out the 1st time....Alan suggested that the new grease was causing some suction but I can't see the puller/slide hammer being slowed down much by grease.   I'm guessing the posi carrier I replaced may have some gunk in the axle splines.
Screwed by Photobucket!