Author Topic: Camshaft Replacement  (Read 1207 times)

Offline money pit

Camshaft Replacement
« on: September 22, 2018 - 12:44:42 AM »
I have a 74 360 that needs a new camshaft. If I pull the camshaft, will the distributor drive gear drop out or is it secured with a clip or something? If the timing marks are lined up after I install the cam, is there a way to adjust the drive gear if it's off? Never rebuilt a Mopar.  Thanks

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
Re: Camshaft Replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018 - 12:13:35 PM »
You will need to pull the gear out (or at least up) as the gear on the back of the cam are engaged to it. This is down by sticking a tool (Ive used large flat bladed screw drivers) and rotating the gear counter clockwise. It will walk up and away from the cam. Do this after you remove the intake so that you can reach in and grab it.

Prior to removing the gear (if all of your timing marks are aligned and you are at TDC), take note of where the slot is pointed before removing the gear (take a picture), then when it comes time to reinstall it, you drop it in and then by rotating it CCW so it comes out of the cam, you can rotate it a tooth at a time to get the slot where you need it. Because the gears are helical, it is difficult to "eyeball" it to get it to drop in the right spot initially, typically you need to move it a few times to get what you need.

I have seen guys make marks inside the block indicating exactly where the slot is, I once saw a guy make a jig of sorts that went into the slot in the gear and pointed to a mark of feature in the block indicating that the slot was perfectly aligned to what he took out.

All that said, it isn't critical that you are "exactly" in the same spot as you can rotate the distributor to align the rotor with the #1 terminal. You will need to time it anyway, you just need it close so it will fire.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018 - 08:13:05 PM »
Also use a double row timing chain and sprockets, the better ones have multiple position key-ways to get the cam close to what was intended, if you have a degree wheel and want to make sure it is as listed by manufacturer. Check the oil pump drive also as they tend to twist slightly on the oil pump end. There is also a chain tensioner available which bolts in, it was used on the V6 engines.
Of course it goes without saying use new hydraulic lifters and use cam lube on the lobes to ensure long life and follow break-in procedure.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline money pit

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018 - 11:00:37 PM »
Thanks for the info. It really helps.