Suggestions on Paint Products

Author Topic: Suggestions on Paint Products  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Grancoupe

Suggestions on Paint Products
« on: May 01, 2004 - 09:57:32 AM »
Looking for some suggestions. I enjoy doing body work but not very experienced with paint and primer. I'm looking for websites or other training places where I can learn about the techniques on paint and prep. My car was originally done in Standox. Not sure if I should continue with that brand. Thinking about Dupont products. The car was painted great. But the body guy was a real idiot. So now the car popped in a few places. Didnt have a gargage or the proper tools back then. Do now and will redo the car right this time... Any sugestions would be great, looking for any input, very serious about starting this soon. Thanx

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
Re:Suggestions on Paint Products
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004 - 02:07:01 PM »
I am going though pretty much the same thing.  I am still doing metal work so I have some time to figure out what brand of primer and paint I am going with.  So far Lesonal has been suggested to me.   Not sure if that is what I will do, but am curious to the replies to this post.
I did however invest in Kevin Tetz's Paintucation videos.  He has four different videos covering metal repair to actual painting.  I, personally found them interesting and helpful.  I noticed you can find them on eBay once in a while, but you can find them for sale on various sites on the internet.

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004 - 07:24:20 PM »
I don't know if you'd want to go with the cheaper paint, but Omni AU worked out well on my Challenger.  I know my local bodyman, who also painted my car, uses a lot of PPG and Dupont paint products and both he and his costumers have been really satisfied with the quality of them.  Or you could just wait around until Reflections_7 is online and see what he would suggest. ;)
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004 - 07:36:18 PM »
This site has some tech and a good Q & A board-
http://www.autobodystore.com/
I use PPG and like thier products a lot ( and they were the original supplier for a lot of Mopars) but have also been happy with Dupont and other brands.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004 - 03:23:04 AM »
Standox is a good quality paint

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004 - 01:51:04 PM »
Thanx for the replies, guys. I'm going to further my research on line as well as locally. If I pick up any strong pointers I will definitely post them.

Offline oldvamoparfan

• MOPAR; The only way to go!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004 - 09:00:32 PM »
I have used Omni Urethane on a couple vehicles w/ good results.  I think good prep is the most important thing, then use a known quality paint.  Good luck folks.   Ovmf
'72 Challenger 360,  '05 Dakota,   04 Town & Country,   '82 Yamaha 650 Maxim