Author Topic: Fuel pump problems  (Read 2646 times)

Offline camjam

• Rare-it-T
Fuel pump problems
« on: April 27, 2002 - 11:41:31 PM »
I have a 2000 Dakota with 4.7 that I use as my daily driver. Last week the fuel pump just gave up the ghost or so I thought. Gas was simply not being pumped.
The gas that I use is Shell Bronze.
Turns out that Shell puts an additive only into their Bronze gas which will gel if it is not used regularly. The gel clogs up the pump and prevents gas from getting through. The guy at the dealership said for awhile he was getting as many as 5 a day with the pumps clogged. The pumps can be cleaned by putting them into a solution for a few days (can't remember what he said it was though).
Shell is supposed to have changed their additive so it won't happen any more.
I'm thinking: that my Challenger isn't driven on a regular basis. Will my fuel pump get clogged? So what I am doing is trying to use up the gas in the tank quickly and then I will fill up with another suppliers gas before I try the Shell gas again if at all. For those that might be wondering the 71 383 4bbl burns regular gas.
Just a heads up if your using regular gas in your vehicles and its Shell there could be some problems with the fuel pump.
This may have been happening only in Canada I don't know but it strikes me that Shell may not change their manufacturing process for another country. They would however make changes for different climates. It may not affect someone in the deep south for example.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 - 07:00:00 PM by 1023595200 »
71 Challenger R/T 383 4spd - 1 of 10 known to have been built for canada - restored
70 Charger R/T SE 440 auto - restored