Author Topic: wheel alignment  (Read 276 times)

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
wheel alignment
« on: December 14, 2017 - 09:15:33 pm »
for what its worth, I have some uneven tire wear up front,
and am adjusting toe-in/out in the garage. Have taped a cheapy
laser pointer to a rod, then taped the rod to the sides of the front
tires. The laser pointer then makes a mark on the garage wall, and you
can adjust toe and watch the laser point change.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

Offline Mopar Mitch

• Autocrosser/Road Course Racer
Re: wheel alignment
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017 - 02:12:27 pm »
Nice tip!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Autocross/road racers go in deeper... and come out harder!

See  MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2006 ISSUE for featured article and details on my autocross T/A.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017 - 03:15:55 pm »
Nice tip!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ya, came in handy, as I was originally turning the linkage the wrong way.
Gotta have the steering wheel locked, then jack the front tire
so it is just touching the ground, so it will turn easily, but not rotate.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017 - 03:18:30 pm by cudabob496 »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017 - 06:55:55 pm »
ya, came in handy, as I was originally turning the linkage the wrong way.
Gotta have the steering wheel locked, then jack the front tire
so it is just touching the ground, so it will turn easily, but not rotate.
Bad mistake jacking the front up as the toe in generally increases, the vehicle must have the vehicle weight on the wheels, I even give the front a bounce to make sure the front has settled. Is the steering box in its central position, after many years of mechanic's playing with our cars things like that can be out which then causes the driver to sub-consciously turn the steering wheel slightly when driving straight, the camber of the road needs to be taken into consideration.
If the tires are wearing it can also be the Camber out, have you checked the ball joints, bushes etc.
Dave

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017 - 07:11:50 pm »
Bad mistake jacking the front up as the toe in generally increases, the vehicle must have the vehicle weight on the wheels, I even give the front a bounce to make sure the front has settled. Is the steering box in its central position, after many years of mechanic's playing with our cars things like that can be out which then causes the driver to sub-consciously turn the steering wheel slightly when driving straight, the camber of the road needs to be taken into consideration.
If the tires are wearing it can also be the Camber out, have you checked the ball joints, bushes etc.

No, haven't checked all of that stuff. Probably due for an alignment shop appointment. But even with the front jacked up, I then moved the toe outward about degree or two, which I'm hoping will take care of the wear I was seeing on the outside inch of the left front tire. The right tire looks fine. I had replaced the tie rods and some ball joints last year.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017 - 07:08:14 am »
When vehicle is jacked up the toe-in increases, don't ask me how much as it depends on the vehicle.
If you are considering having a proper front end alignment and based on only one side wearing according to your post this is what needs to happen.

I still do not get notifications from this forum so have to check through many posts if an answer is required.   :villagers:
Dave