Author Topic: Don't get it? New paint to look like old paint???  (Read 549 times)

Online cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.
Up to 4000 RPM, Warp Speed, Up to 5000, Rediculous Speed, Up to 6000 RPM, Ludicrous Speed!

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

Offline 340-FOUR- BARRELL

Re: Don't get it? New paint to look like old paint???
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017 - 01:02:55 am »
That technique has been around at least ten years. I've seen much better attempts at this "Tour de Force."

Online cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017 - 01:22:01 am »
Sure would not spend big money for a paint job to look like the car
sat out in the rain for 10 years!
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.
Up to 4000 RPM, Warp Speed, Up to 5000, Rediculous Speed, Up to 6000 RPM, Ludicrous Speed!

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

Online Beekeeper

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017 - 10:56:47 am »
Another thing that has become popular is satin clear coating over faded crappy paint to Preserve it as is. I don't get it either. I can definitely appreciate an original unrestored car that has a rough but original exterior. But to try and create that look or take steps to preserve it in that condition seems kinda weird. I suppose it's another trend. a few years ago, everyone was painting their cars low gloss or flat black. It looked cool on a few rat rods but was quickly overdone and unoriginal.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017 - 01:39:15 pm »
Sure would not spend big money for a paint job to look like the car
sat out in the rain for 10 years!
What if it looked like it sat out in the rain for forty years. Although this truck guy used a body wrap....a lot chaper....maybe $3,000. I've seen it done on Hellcats.

Offline Cudakiller70

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017 - 02:00:30 pm »
At a car show this weekend 2 cars were cleared over bare metal, just trace amounts of paint in some seams and corners gotta look for it
Auto spell I'm tired of your shirt
The above is just my opinion
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017 - 06:06:57 pm »
Here's a Hellcat with pre-worn paint. Kinda like buying pre-worn jeans. :roflsmiley:

Online Beekeeper

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017 - 06:18:00 pm »
You know what would look really cool? Ramming a shopping cart into it here and there. Maybe open a door or two into some panels. Crack the grill, tail lights and windshield. Rip up the interior and stain the carpet with cat pee. Then it would have the "right" look. For that extra touch, it should leak oil and blow smoke. Prize winners of course would make sure things didn't work anymore like wipers, lights, etc.

If someone wants to loan me their new hellcat, I can thrash it for a while for them.

Offline Cudakiller70

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017 - 06:45:59 pm »
You know what would look really cool? Ramming a shopping cart into it here and there. Maybe open a door or two into some panels. Crack the grill, tail lights and windshield. Rip up the interior and stain the carpet with cat pee. Then it would have the "right" look. For that extra touch, it should leak oil and blow smoke. Prize winners of course would make sure things didn't work anymore like wipers, lights, etc.

If someone wants to loan me their new hellcat, I can thrash it for a while for them.
You could get the exterior done in one day at our local Walmart. If your a little braver you could drop it off and get the interior done also, the only problem is were not sure when you would get it back, but it would be beyond your wildest expectations!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017 - 06:50:00 pm by Cudakiller70 »
Auto spell I'm tired of your shirt
The above is just my opinion
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Offline msbaugh

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017 - 09:06:58 pm »
... does anyone remember the patina e-body thread??? i love looking at old beat up drivers.  I wouldn't want to own one.

it works on crazy far out rat rods IMO... but thats it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017 - 09:08:45 pm by msbaugh »

Online Beekeeper

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017 - 09:33:52 pm »

it works on crazy far out rat rods IMO... but thats it.

I enjoy checking out the shabby rat rods. not so much the highly built up ones but more what it the originally started out as...you know, old street signs welded into the floor boards. That sort of thing. Some of those folks really got creative and made some cool rides with very little dough.

Online cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017 - 10:12:21 pm »
Here's a Hellcat with pre-worn paint. Kinda like buying pre-worn jeans. :roflsmiley:

Nice Hellcat! It can hang out with the Dung Beetle!!