Author Topic: Wipers reverse but dont park  (Read 1978 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Re: Wipers reverse but dont park
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2017 - 11:00:25 am »
I agree...but if I reclock the arm, it parks waaaaaaay north of where it should.

Offline Aracer

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2017 - 04:37:04 pm »
Hold it there Sportshoes, another scenario,  the ground wire for parking the 2 speed wipers is on the dash switch panel screw to the dash. It has a u-nut that may not have a fresh ground.

Mine did not park until I fiddled with the nut to dash. Lack of use , So I removed the wiper wire plug,  so, it don't get stuck by a mistake turn on. My cuda's don't get run  in rain. Why risk it.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2017 - 08:15:14 pm »
I posted  a pic earlier in this thread of my setup....whole seperate ground wire run.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2017 - 01:42:20 pm »
So I talked to Bruce again last evening (he is a great guy willing to help!) 

He pointed out as others here have that the "up" position is not far enough....and he suggested I try a test...remove the wiper arms, mark the pivots relative to where the arms should park and then see what the sweep looks like.

So I did that.

The sweep is the same as with the arms installed...

When you switch the switch off, the motor reverses and "parks".

But the sweep while running INCLUDES the park position.

Now, with the new cam parts installed, I cant even manually park them if they park too high due to my positioning the arms higher so as to not go over the chrome trim for the normal sweep.  Before, with the broken cam parts I could at least do that.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

So I can only assume that the new parts are SOMEHOW installed wrong or the motor itself is the issue?

Here is the video.

https://youtu.be/1LrQAfnDEpg

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2017 - 01:59:10 pm »
I was just searching the web for info & found this.... It's just the very last paragraph on two speed wipers... If someone knows where page 7 can be found....

FWIW I'm sure the problem is in the cam assembly...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline 73440

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2017 - 02:44:50 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7JVrvjzQlg0

Here is the film from the 70-11 windshield wipers
67 440
73 Barracuda w/ 68 440
65 Plymouth Fury III , I sold ,was my Nana's car till 92 yo.
51 Ford F1 239 Flathead, flipped , new cab , stolen
59 BelAir 283 4 door original patina
01 Chevy van 382,031 miles
06 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
75 HD Ironhead converted to RH shift
73 HD Ironhead
82 HD Ironhead
74 Norton 850
80 HD Shovelhead
80 Husqvarna WR 390

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2017 - 03:02:10 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7JVrvjzQlg0

Here is the film from the 70-11 windshield wipers

Excellent...  Like I said earlier you need to have another look at the cam assembly, something in there isn't doing it's job...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2017 - 05:47:30 pm »
Excellent...  Like I said earlier you need to have another look at the cam assembly, something in there isn't doing it's job...

Thanks guys.   I was out working on the car when the video link was posted so I havent had the chance to look at the video link yet.

But I believe it is either the spring inside that has lost some tension or the shaft on the crank itself has worn....

Here is a video I threw together...
https://youtu.be/ouZqjPOjw6I

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2017 - 10:50:26 am »
So, just to update and provide some closure, in case anyone else happens on this thread in the futurWebe and needs the info --

When I got home from Carlisle, a box was waiting for me.

It contained a new(ish?) wiper crank/pin and spring.

Swapped that in and viola....seems like the issue is done now.

Every now and then the drivers wiper hangs a little on the SS trim.....and not sure how to address that yet....but more often than not they park good now.  The driver's arm raps on the SS trim, so clearly the trim is the issue now.

Comparing the new spring on my old crank, I believe my old crank's pin is worn as well....so went with the new one.

https://youtu.be/u2fdgcnJiyc

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017 - 10:53:18 am by shadango »

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2017 - 10:57:46 am »
Sounds like the trim is what caused the cam to wear out... Fix the trim....

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2017 - 01:21:55 pm »
Awesome, good for you. After I contributed my  :2cents:  I was lost as to suggesting anything else. That's why I didn't/couldn't add any more to this thread. I was almost going to suggest another motor so I'm glad I kept my mouth shut.

What I'm really curious about is the part number the same on the old crank/pin and new crank/pin?  Also, it looks like the the bottom of the drivers side wipe is hitting the stainless, especially at high speed.  You're, no doubt, pretty adept at removing those by now, have you thought of moving it up one spline.

Once again congratulations, and thanks for all the valuable info and the update.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2000 Toyota Avalon

Offline cv70chall

• 1970 Challenger
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2017 - 02:43:04 pm »
I have the 2-speed motor and my wipers won't "return" or park at all.
I've replaced the motor and still no luck.

???

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2017 - 04:27:26 pm »

???

Are you sure you have the right two speed motor?  There are two types, one retracts for hidden wipers, the other doesn't & is for exposed wipers....  The way to tell them apart is by looking at the electrical connections... The pin lay out is the same but some of the connectors are brass & some are steel... The mix of brass vs steel is how you tell them apart....   The info is touched on in this video....  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7JVrvjzQlg0

Offline solarguy

« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2017 - 05:54:05 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Good to see you get this fixed

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2017 - 10:57:25 pm »

???

Remove the screen on the drivers side cowl....and watch the action of the motor......does the motor "reverse" when you shut off the wipers?

If so, you have the correct motor and your problem will probably be in the cam assembly as mine was.

If you read thru the thread here there are lots of good ideas including making sure the switch is grounded well.

If you know the switch is grounding well, pull the linkage out and inspect the came assembly. Its not a complicated piece, but I found it has to be working perfectly to work at all correctly.

I also found that they work the best when the car is running (ie the battery is charging) ....as voltage drops, so does the performance of the system.

There is tons of great info from folks in this thread.....all of it came together and helped me see the bigger picture.....

Bruce was a HUGE help figuring this out as well! He is the guy who hooked me up with the parts I needed!   :woo:

I posted a couple videos above that should help.....

Now, who has info on what exactly to do as far as tweaking the SS trim to fit flush with the windshield??  If I could get rid of the interference there, I could say its 100% fixed!    Its 98% now....LOL