Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: Wipers reverse but dont park  (Read 1068 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Re: Wipers reverse but dont park
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2017 - 10:31:22 am »
Yeah I was half tempted to try and weld or epoxy that groove up and see if it helped but the plastic also has issues.....I dont know exactly how it works so I cant be sure what is the major factor.

If I can find new(er) parts I will just swap them out.

I have tried moving the wiper arms on the splines and the range is just not large enough....which I agree is probably related to that groove.....and that groove was caused by the arm not being held properly in place by the missing wavy  washer (I assume).

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2017 - 05:43:42 am »
That thing you found looks like the rubber seal on the end of the motor, first picture.
That "groove' is definitely not suppose to be there and it seems you're missing that special spring.
The rest of the pictures show one that I took apart (kind of in steps).

Thanks for this!!

So I have a lead on some parts, shown in this picture --- but I am confused ....in this picture, I circled in red the part I am confused about...on some replacement part pictures on the web I have found, I don't see that "ramp" for lack of a better word in the plastic...mine has that as does yours, though mine appears to have a piece broken off...in some pics it looks more solid? 

In your picture, the yellow area

On MY part --- looks like I have the ramp but part of it is broken off? Just want to be sure the "ramp" is normal and not wear....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017 - 05:57:22 am by shadango »

Online JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017 - 09:15:58 am »
You're right, your "ramp" is chipped and I'd just use the one that looks like your original and mine. I don't know but maybe the differences in that plastic piece might have something to do with E vs B bodies. Maybe the kit includes both depending on application.  :dunno:

Hope you got the part with the "deep groove". I know I keep coming back to that but I really think that's your major problem, you know, kind of fix the obvious first. Also, not to be a "Captain Obvious", but, you'll have to re-position the wipers once the parts are replaced.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2000 Toyota Avalon

Online JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017 - 10:14:45 am »
Sorry, when you said something about "more solid" I thought you were referring to the plastic piece I labelled "A". I enlarged and cropped the picture from the parts picture you posted. As you can see from the "B" part there is a definite "ramp", it's not wear. In my previous post when I said the difference might be between E vs B I was thinking of these two plastic parts.
John

2000 Toyota Avalon

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2017 - 05:30:51 am »
After looking around some more it appears they reproduce the plastic bushing.....   I'd give one of these guys a call....

Jim Slotts   412.295.1333     Email:  jsrestorations@rocketmail.com

Bruce Somer  951-675-9551

SO, Bruce ended up having the parts I needed!   :bigsmile:  wavy washer, the two plastic parts and the metal base part.  :woo:  Just sent him some money and cant wait to get the parts installed!

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2017 - 05:41:32 am »

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017 - 08:28:44 am »
Excellent.... Sounds like your ready for rain.....
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2017 - 08:42:20 am »
Hopefully I dont fund any damaged parts as I refurbish the rest of the linkage.

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2017 - 09:56:04 am »
The wiper pivots which mount the wiper arms are pretty bullet proof, I imagine in places where it rains a lot sometimes they get a little loose but here in California they are usually in great shape.... A little lube & your good to go....
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto

Online JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2017 - 12:25:38 pm »
I'll be looking forward to the new video once it's all together.
John

2000 Toyota Avalon

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2017 - 02:49:26 pm »
The wiper pivots which mount the wiper arms are pretty bullet proof, I imagine in places where it rains a lot sometimes they get a little loose but here in California they are usually in great shape.... A little lube & your good to go....

I thought I saw some runner washers or something.

Now that I have the parts on the way, I plan on cleaning/ wirebrushing the linkages and painting.....make em pretty.....

And I will definately post a video *IF* this fixes the issue!     been 10 years in the making....LOL

Truth is the Fish doesnt see MUCH rain so its not a front-burner type of issue.....but I guess 10 years is long enough to get it right....crossing my fingers. Hoping to have it all back together and working right for Carlisle.....

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2017 - 08:50:50 pm »
Well, got the new (used) plastic parts, wavy washer,  and main metal pipiece plus the boot....

Put it  all together and had frustrating results.

Best I can say is mixed results.

Seems like sometimes it will park, kinda....and others nto at all....have to turn on the wipers a couple more times.....

I played with the clocking of the wiper arms several times and the video below is what the results are.

It's banging off the stainless steel trim...  and wiping onto it.  Can't imagine that is right.....but if I clock the  arms to stop wiping on the ss trim, they wouldn't park. 

I think maybe trying to get the ss trim to hug the glass better is the next step but no idea how to do that...afraid of messing up a major trim piece...

https://youtu.be/mB-KcdcpPSk

Offline 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2017 - 09:29:38 pm »
It definitely needs to be clocked further up to not touch the cowl trim except when it parks.. When it parks is it still reversing? It didn't look like it does....

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2017 - 06:42:37 am »
Yeah, in the video its still reversing...

Though every now and then when you turn off the switch it doesn't reverse.....turn the wipers on again and try again and usually they do, sometimes it takes a second try....I assume thats because of the moment chosen to turn them off?

If I reclock the wipers higher, then the wipers park higher as well.
 :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Online JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2017 - 08:14:06 am »
It definitely needs to be clocked further up to not touch the cowl trim except when it parks.
:iagree: The driver's side wiper should be closer to the A pillar on the up swing.
John

2000 Toyota Avalon