Author Topic: crank and no start, no spark during crank  (Read 201 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
crank and no start, no spark during crank
« on: August 15, 2017 - 08:09:28 pm »
This is one that has been covered here before but I have to ask some opinions...

So the son goes out this AM to start his Volare (slant 6).

Cranks but no start.

First thing I thought when he was telling me this story was "he flooded it".

But   he goes thru the usual test....finding is NO spark jumping from the coil wire to the block EXCEPT when the key is switched off, just one quick spark....

When I heard that, I thought "ballast".

But he continues his story.

....tries swapping in a ballast, no change

.... then a coil (seperately).....no change

Fast forward to now when I just got home from work.......I go out and try to crank without hitting gas, no run....pump the gas and crank, no run but when I switch the ignition off, it spits like it wanted to start.

Crank again and it fires.  I shut it off and restart several times....we wiggle wires etc....no change in how its running....go for a ride, no change. runs great.

So I told him next time this happens - try two things---first, voltmeter between the + on the coil and ground......we checked the reading while it was running and its 8.4....told him that while cranking it should be at LEAST that but likely more, closer to battery voltage.  .....if that is zero, then jump between the + on the coil and + on the battery and it should start....(I got that all from a handy dandy help article somone did that I carry with me in the cuda....)

The thought is it could be ballast, ignition switch or ecu...... But......I started singing Heart's "magic Man" when it fired....LOL

Anyone wanna comment ?  Seems weird it would just fire up for me....wiring?    ECU flaking out maybe?

He had the car stall on him the other night....fired right up he said...warmed it up and then he went to pull out and it stalled.....couldnt restart......he sat and waited a while and tried again and he said it eventually fired...that I think was flooding....

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017 - 04:35:07 am by shadango »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: crank and no start, no spark during crank
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017 - 09:46:13 pm »
Poor connections at steering column or buklhead would be my bet ..Possibly a failing ignition switch..
  Check for power on the brown wire at the ballast while cranking.. should be about 12V/battery voltage
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017 - 05:18:09 am »
Poor connections at steering column or buklhead would be my bet ..Possibly a failing ignition switch..
  Check for power on the brown wire at the ballast while cranking.. should be about 12V/battery voltage

That's the "in" side of the ballast right?

And the "out" side of the ballast would be the 8.5 or so volts that we see at the coil while running?

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017 - 08:11:35 am »
Nope... Brown "Start" wire bypasses the resister then the Blue wire gets power when in Run & feeds back through the ballast

Not sure if you have a dual or single ballast

Single

Dual (I2 in this diagram)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2017 - 08:20:37 am by Bullitt- »
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017 - 12:45:47 pm »
Thanks Bullitt --   I have always been confused about how the resistor works.

How does the brown wire "bypass " the ballast when it connected to it ?

The Volare is a single , the fish is a dual.

I thought I read that when you go to a electronic igntiion, the dual ballast functions as a single anyways.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017 - 12:47:29 pm by shadango »

Offline tman

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017 - 12:52:29 pm »
Someone else was having similar issues and it was the Dist pickup.  Once it was changed, started right up all the time.  It was a post where it would almost start when releasing key.  Just a fyi.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017 - 04:59:19 pm »
If you follow the Brown wire it connects to the output side of the resistor, there it branches off & goes to the coil.
Follow the Blue wire to the input side of the resistor & when power is present it flows through the resistor to the same wire.
  It's easier to follow on the single ballast diagram above but works the same on both..
I admit it took me 8+ years of being on this forum for that revelation.. LOL
Screwed by Photobucket!