Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: Wipers reverse but dont park  (Read 1387 times)

Offline shadango

• Resident
Wipers reverse but dont park
« on: May 25, 2017 - 03:04:20 pm »
Used search and came across a plethora of hints and info about 2 speed wipers not parking.

One is that the ground for the switch inside needs fixed.

However , those threads seem to say that if the ground is bad or not there, the wiper motor wont reverse at all.

I took a peek at mine again...been this way since 2010...LOL....

They reverse when I turn off the switch but do not keep going so as to park....they do NOT hit the stainless moulding, which I know is another issue and which I may eventually have as my moulding sticks up some.

But the wipers never get TO the moulding to keep them from parking.

The wipers seem to go to the correct spot at the edge of the windshield during the sweep, and changing the position of the arm itself on the splines doesnt help.....because then the wiper doesnt wipe enough....

SO.....sounds like a linkage or cam or motor issue right?  Quagmire , in a 2010 post to someone else, hinted that the cam could be a problem in this situation.

As always, I prefer a "dont fix if it aint broke" approach.....the wipers have worked well enough for 7 years....rarely drive in rain.

But when I do, they are rackity (lots of clanking noise) and as I said they dont park....so I am considering another attempt to fix these...LOL

Offline mopar jack

Re: Wipers reverse but dont park
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017 - 12:12:05 am »
If the wipers stop at the base of the windshield you may need to adjust so that it parks lower on the trim. The wiper motor has a flat plate where the wires are located and you can loosen the screws (3) that hold the plate and rotate it to change the parking position. I'll see if I can find a service manual pic.

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017 - 05:43:40 am »
If the wipers stop at the base of the windshield you may need to adjust so that it parks lower on the trim. The wiper motor has a flat plate where the wires are located and you can loosen the screws (3) that hold the plate and rotate it to change the parking position. I'll see if I can find a service manual pic.

Crikey!  That would be great if that is all it is!  LOL

I do have manual and am looking at it now....

I dont see anything referencing a plate for adjustment.......in the troubleshooting section under "wipers do not park correctly" all it says is either the arms are on the shafts at the wrong clocking or "loose clutch spring on crank - replace clutch spring , cam and release"..........

ANd lower in the section they talk about determining if it needs adjustment, and applying upward force etc and measuring the play, but dont say how to adjust.....unless I am missing something.....
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017 - 05:53:12 am by shadango »

Online JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017 - 08:21:31 am »
That "plate" reference is for variable/3 speed wiper motors. Yours is a 2 speed, correct?
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2000 Toyota Avalon

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017 - 01:25:09 pm »
That "plate" reference is for variable/3 speed wiper motors. Yours is a 2 speed, correct?

Correct.....2 speed.  So that wouldnt apply.

Online 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017 - 04:05:40 pm »
So, it's been this way since 2010... How long have you owned it? Did this just develop or has it been like this as long as you've owned the car?

Cause the wrong linkage or crank arm could cause problems too....
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017 - 06:40:41 pm »
So, it's been this way since 2010... How long have you owned it? Did this just develop or has it been like this as long as you've owned the car?

Cause the wrong linkage or crank arm could cause problems too....

Owned it since 2007......been this way the entire time......

The car was apart for paint prior to me getting it but not sure they would have had that stuff apart....I mention that because I had posted back in 2010 (I think) that the linkage had come off the drivers side........and at that time it looked like a non oem fastener was on there....

Is there an easy way to tell if I have the right or wrong linkage without pulling it all out of the car?????    :banghead:

Online 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017 - 07:00:46 pm »
Not sure on the two speed stuff,Two speed should have the plastic cam in the linkage, three speed doesn't
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017 - 07:03:29 pm »
Thanks!  Guess its time to pull the cowl again.....    :bigsmile:

Offline 734406pk

• Andy
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017 - 07:09:58 pm »
 :iagree: You may have some three speed linkage parts in there. There are part numbers stamped into the crank arm and link. They are specific for a two speed. The cross bar that connects wiper to wiper is the same on 2/3 speed wipers.

1973 Challenger 440 6 pack auto 3.91 rear
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 6.7 Cummins Fleece EFI Live
1973 Challenger 318 2bbl auto 2.73 rear 22.5 mpg RIP
1970 Challenger TA 340 4bbl auto-Sold and sad
1999 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 5.9 Cummins Fleece tuned VGT-sold
1995 Kawasaki ZX1100E & still alive

Online 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017 - 07:10:05 pm »
The difference is profound enough you can probably see it through the screens.....

Three speed linkage

Offline xtopfuel

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017 - 06:05:50 am »
just an FYI as most know I had some issues and wipers parking was one, I found that my car sat for many many moons and wiring was not bad just dirty and corroded, as I said on a different thread I removed bulk head to find corrosion, cleaned and lubed I also has excessive corrosion and dirt build up on wiper switch, cleaned and lubed and they park now

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017 - 07:13:42 am »
just an FYI as most know I had some issues and wipers parking was one, I found that my car sat for many many moons and wiring was not bad just dirty and corroded, as I said on a different thread I removed bulk head to find corrosion, cleaned and lubed I also has excessive corrosion and dirt build up on wiper switch, cleaned and lubed and they park now

But, prior to the cleaning, did they REVERSE at all?  Mine reverse, but stop about 4-6 inches above the stainless steel trim at the bottom....

Offline shadango

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2017 - 08:05:04 am »
SO it looks like my linkages are correct as far as I can see.....I shot this video to illustrate my wiper issues....

I figure a picture is worth a million words, so a video should be worth a million million words. LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA36B4b1KPs

I also just got done cleaning the connections of the wiring between the wiper motor and the bulkhead -- pulled the connectors out of the plastic blocks and cleaned best I could.  Sprayed some electronics cleaner into the bulkhead connector for the wipers (fast drying) then blew out with compressed air.....put dielectric grease on all connections and reassembled.  No change.  Next I guess will be the switch/ground.....

I pulled the dash apart to check the ground and lo and behold I started having flashbacks....I added a seperate ground for the switch/frame  a long time ago....you can see it ...its the yellow connector, near the speedo....the dangling blue conector is for the extra LED light strip I added to the dash light.....it goes to the metal dash light "frame".....

I also tried running a seperate jumper just now from the switch's frame itself to the negative battery terminal and also from the switch housing to the battery....makes no difference in the parking.

So it has to be either that "cam" assembly or the motor itself right?

As an aside, forgot how much FUN that dash is,....lol.....put it all together and tested...turns out I popped the dimmer switch plug off and had to pull it apart and reassemble again.....LOL......oh the memories....   :bigsmile:

« Last Edit: May 27, 2017 - 10:27:23 am by shadango »

Online 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2017 - 11:21:03 am »
I'm thinking it'll be in the cam assembly, probably gonna need to dig into a service manual for this one....