Author Topic: Upper control arm tools  (Read 659 times)

Offline Beekeeper

Upper control arm tools
« on: April 07, 2017 - 12:51:20 am »
I have been wanting to buy the correct tools to remove and reinstall control arm bushings and ball joints for the upper control arms of my E body. I have a good press but not sure what the correct tools even look like. I would hate to buy a generic set of cheap ones only to find they don't work well. Anyone have a pic or can post a link of a decent one for sale?

Online 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
Re: Upper control arm tools
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017 - 02:05:27 am »
Correct tools.. :roflsmiley:   I've got a few lengths of pipe, some bearing races, I use a bolt through the upper control arm bushing to hold a socket centered & press on the socket to remove the bushings....  The best tool is knowledge... Know where you need to put the pressure & find something that will apply force correctly....  I've done hundreds of bushings, never had any special tools...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017 - 09:14:20 am »
I was afraid you would say that. Mine have some rust so everything is really frozen.

Online 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017 - 10:00:28 am »
I was afraid you would say that. Mine have some rust so everything is really frozen.

Last really rusty set I tried to replace bushings on the bushing brought part of the control arm with it....Blast the arms first & hope for the best... I've only had two arms ever fail & they were both from the same car....  Even if I'd been successful removing them the arms were ugly so I didn't feel  bad replacing them..
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017 - 10:06:08 am »
I managed with generic tools, muscle & guile .. Saw these being discussed recently  http://www.manciniracing.com/frsuto.html
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline gleasmja

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017 - 08:05:13 pm »
I removed mine with a Dremel and patience. Cut the end of one end for the center sleeve, push it out. Round burr to Grove  the outside, then a punch and hammer to roll it out.   

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017 - 10:01:51 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I'll blast them a bit first. I bought a 1/2 inch hardened rod so maybe I can run it through the bushing to press out the other. I tried a threaded rod and it quickly folded in half.

I guess I'll cut them out as a last resort. Last time I was in this position on another car, I got lucky and found a new set with bushings and joint installed for a mere $80.

I like the look of those Mancini tools....wonder how well some of them work.

Offline 340challconvert

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017 - 11:09:31 am »
I thought about reusing 45 year old +upper control arms and decided to buy new ones.
The new ones come with new bushings and a ball joint and are ready to install.

Nothing fancy like tubular, just Goodmark units from Rock Auto that look like the originals for about 129 each

You save a ton of work and get new.

Just felt better with new rather then possibly fatigued original units.

You can also get a discount from Rock Auto.
Just my thoughts!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017 - 11:20:53 am by 340challconvert »
1970 A66 340 Y-1 convertible

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017 - 10:45:28 pm »
As Wild said, a piece of pipe that clears the big end against the arm and an impact socket nearly the same size as the other and a good eye at the press did mine. The big issue is the threads for the upper ball joint as they're very shallow and prone to not grabbing well once the old joint is removed. A good pipe wrench and a length of pipe over it's handle and some "arm strong" will usually do it but remember, heat is your friend here nad a decent oxy torch goes a long way. Failing that. ask a local alignment shop. Do the ball joint with the arm still on the car as it's tough when it's off since it's a b!tch to hold down.  :cheers:

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017 - 10:48:39 pm »
I have a good press and I spent a few hours trying like hell but in the end, I gave up. new ones are so reasonably priced that I decided my sanity is worth more. Besides I have lots of other things on the car to focus my effort on. Appreciate all the good replies though.

Offline brasil

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017 - 02:06:14 pm »
a press will not help to remove the bushings....  the "trick " with the pipes and so on...will remove those bushings in a few minutes. If those bushings are "rusted"..  a little tourch flame " will do wonders

No need to buy new upper control arms

Greetings Juergen