Barracuda Challenger Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
1
Those are held on with plastic clips... If your careful and lucky you can pry they off the clips... Push the molding toward the side where you pry to move any looseness toward that side.... A wide plastic panel tool would be a good tool to pry with... The clips should be available if you not lucky enough...
2
Normal.... Lots of drag racers use drums for that very reason.. The stopping is worth it.... :2cents:
3
Ebod Pics / Re: cuda with cuda trailer
« Last post by AARTA340 on Today at 02:33:54 PM »
First 71 Cuda trailer I have seen.  :drool:
4
I have replaced my entire brake system from front to back and now have stock power front disc with drums on the back. When turning the front wheels (when off the ground) I have some resistance. Question is how smoothly should the wheels spin and should there be contact with the discs and the pads without the brakes being applied. If not is there a way to back this off. Thanks.
5
Ok I looked it up in latest Mopar Catalog with GG bridge and green charger on the cover, page 263 bottom right. Called "1970-74 Barracuda Door Top Edge Mouldings". This is in regards to doors and quarter panels.
6
Since this about a 74 Challenger I thought I would share this; back around 79 my best friend had a 74 Challenger, 360 4 spd, yellow with black interior (I loved that car). We raced it, rebuilt a 340 for it, painted it (despite it being perfect), etc. However what I wanted to share is that during all this, at one point we pulled the seats (the car had something like 11,000 miles on it when my buddy got it from the first owner). We also pulled up the carpet and underneath we found 2 items; a spare set of keys for the car and a sticker that said "Rallye". We could not figure out where the sticker came from but we were/are pretty sure we were the first guys to pull the carpet since the car was made, so where did the sticker come from and why was it there? I sent this info to some of the famous Mopar writers (Ebugger and Galen) and both immediately replied it was impossible and essentially said I was lying.. I know what I saw and the circumstances around it. We believe the car actually came from Canada, so we were thinking it might have been some idea of adding "Rallye" to Canadian models as GM had Rallye Camaros at the time in the US.

I had a picture somewhere of that sticker but at the moment I don't know where it is, if I find it I will post it. Just thought someone here might find it interesting. Here is a pic of the car.
7
Next will be putting everything under the hood back in, then on to wiring, etc...
8
Next thing I decided to do was fix the damage I inflicted on the car when I was grinding a piece of metal that got away from me and skipped across the car...  :banghead:

Had to do a little sanding and a little filling and then lay some paint on the area. I have learned (the hard way) that it is difficult if not impossible to try and paint just a small area without causing more pain and time in the end as you tend to burn through the surrounding area when trying to blend in the repair. Therefore I tend to paint a much larger area and then blend it all in; the edges tend to not require much work as the new paint is faded into it. Anyway, despite the small areas to be repaired, still take considerable time and effort to do. Ended up giving it 4 coats (probably more than needed) but this green is a bit translucent and pretty easy to sand through which results in white "spots" from the primer underneath. I will let it cure for a while until I wet sand and buff it.
9
Started actually working on the Cuda finally  :woohoo: Since EVERYTHING has to get done, it took me a little time to decide what to do. One thing that has been bothering me for a long time is one of the rear window regulators was broken when I got the car. Fortunately all of the parts were present but I wasn't sure if it could be repaired; well yesterday I decided to investigate it and happily it could (as was) be repaired.

For anyone interested, what happens with these is that over time the rivets break and then the gear inside gets out of line with the regulator. I ended up taking the good side apart so I could see how it all worked. Once I figured out that the window shaft had come out of the circular part, fixing it was simple. The shaft is "swaged" into this piece by a machine during manufacturing but I am sure over time things loosen up and then if a rivet gives way all the force of trying to roll the window up or down is then transferred to the union between the shaft and circular piece.

The repair was 2 fold; reswage the corners of the square component of the shaft using a small chisel (to get some material to fold over) and then I tacked 2 sides with a TIG. Put it all back together, re-riveted both of them and they are done. Now I need to find some sticky grease to put in there; don't know what the factory used but whatever it is it has lasted 40+ years (more or less). 
10
Ebod Pics / Re: cuda with cuda trailer
« Last post by 70chall440 on Today at 01:01:14 PM »
That wild.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10