Author Topic: Interior re-installation step?  (Read 3822 times)

Offline lee01

Interior re-installation step?
« on: June 06, 2017 - 08:39:26 AM »
got my Cuda partly in boxes.
What would be the best step to reinstalled all the interior?

My guess is:
1- Headliner
2- Package tray
3- Top trims from back to front
4- Carpet
5- Back seat and seatbelts
6- Kick panel
7- Dash
8- Front seat

any do and don't to help put everything in place?
Current Project
73 'Cuda 360

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
Re: Interior re-installation step?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017 - 11:00:31 AM »
1- Headliner(shoulder straps/coat hook, rear view mirror exc...)
2- Dash     
3- A-pillar trim/side window trim/top windshield trim
4- Carpet/seat belts
5- Kick panels
6- Package tray
7- Back glass interior trim(trim touches the package tray)
8- Rear interior panels(rear panels go on top of the package tray)
9- Sill plates(plates go on top of kick panels and rear interior panels)
10- Back seat   
11- Steering column(trim carpet around column)
12- Front seats(console if applicable)
 :2cents:

Offline usraptr

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017 - 08:46:28 PM »
I agree with Burdar with maybe one exception.  If you have have already installed the front and rear windows and regulators, etc. then I agree 100% with Burdar.  However, if you haven't, then before installing the back seat and door panels you need to do the windows first or you will end up taking them back out later.  Good luck.
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017 - 10:41:59 PM »
Anyone have a good write-up on installing a headliner? I may try to DIY it.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline chargerdon

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017 - 01:11:46 PM »
Look on youtube...several examples there...   And good luck, with my wife's help we installed the headliner in our 74 Challenger...   Upholstery shops wanted between $400-$600.   

Pieces of advice learned...

1) Use a GOOD glue that will also allow you to re-adjust...  necessary as you will have to work it all around, over and over readjusting to get out the wrinkles.   

2) I used a lot of Paper C-clips to hold in place before gluing..   

3) Put in whatever sound/heat deadener on the roof before you begin...   one shot here.. 

4) patience...patience...patience...   It can be done...   In many cases use a "heat gun" to help make the material softer to stretch and get out wrinkles.

5) Make sure you know where all of the "screw holes are"...   Mirror, sun visors, clothes hanger clips...shoulder belts...   I got screws that fit the holes, cut the heads off, so that they would be visible and able to "puncture thru the material"..   for the mirror and sun shades...   also the coat hangers.. 

6) I bought and installed headliner padding...   it was not a good option..made installation tougher, but does provide some nice padding and heat/noise shielding.. 

Good luck...   Oh, when I was done, there are still some minor wrinkles that we hoped would fade away...some did...some didn't. 

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017 - 02:28:10 PM »
Look on youtube...several examples there...   And good luck, with my wife's help we installed the headliner in our 74 Challenger...   Upholstery shops wanted between $400-$600.   

Pieces of advice learned...

1) Use a GOOD glue that will also allow you to re-adjust...  necessary as you will have to work it all around, over and over readjusting to get out the wrinkles.   

2) I used a lot of Paper C-clips to hold in place before gluing..   

3) Put in whatever sound/heat deadener on the roof before you begin...   one shot here.. 

4) patience...patience...patience...   It can be done...   In many cases use a "heat gun" to help make the material softer to stretch and get out wrinkles.

5) Make sure you know where all of the "screw holes are"...   Mirror, sun visors, clothes hanger clips...shoulder belts...   I got screws that fit the holes, cut the heads off, so that they would be visible and able to "puncture thru the material"..   for the mirror and sun shades...   also the coat hangers.. 

6) I bought and installed headliner padding...   it was not a good option..made installation tougher, but does provide some nice padding and heat/noise shielding.. 

Good luck...   Oh, when I was done, there are still some minor wrinkles that we hoped would fade away...some did...some didn't.

Thanks, I will have to freshen up on it, I don't recall my headliner being glued in actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline chargerdon

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017 - 08:35:07 AM »
Its held in place with 4 roof bows...  their color coded for the order, and slide into pockets in the headliner...   that holds it up, but you still have to do a lot of gluing all along the sides...   In addition, our roofs have several places with "teeth" built into the metal to grab the headliner... That puts holes in it so try to do that last...  the interior trim strips cover up all of the holes.   

One last word of warning...   BE CAREFULL with the glue...   Get a drop on your paint job, and it will eat it if not wiped off immediately !!   

When you look on youtube make sure to follow an example that uses roof bows like ours...   

Offline Lbs

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017 - 08:40:32 PM »
My original headliner had no glue so when I installed the new one I didn't use any glue. That was 2 years ago and it is still tight as a drum. Other than the tips already posted, the best one I can think of would be DONT have your front and rear glass installed until you are done with the headliner. This was the first one I have installed and I don't think I could have done anywhere near as nice of job with the glass there. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017 - 10:56:00 PM »
My original headliner had no glue so when I installed the new one I didn't use any glue. That was 2 years ago and it is still tight as a drum. Other than the tips already posted, the best one I can think of would be DONT have your front and rear glass installed until you are done with the headliner. This was the first one I have installed and I don't think I could have done anywhere near as nice of job with the glass there. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, mine didn't have glue either.

I was just about to put my glass in next week, I suppose I may try to get the headliner in first. Not looking forward to it though!

1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Lbs

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017 - 11:07:56 PM »
It was actually pretty fun if you you don't use glue. If you don't like how it's going.......no harm, start again. Just make sure you have a lot clamps. With the glass out you can pull from all directions and it will come out great

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017 - 10:35:22 AM »
It was actually pretty fun if you you don't use glue. If you don't like how it's going.......no harm, start again. Just make sure you have a lot clamps. With the glass out you can pull from all directions and it will come out great

What type of clamp do you suggest?

1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017 - 11:04:23 PM »
I think the only thing I glued was the side window area. It wasn't glued originally though. The factory just used two "U" shaped clips per side. They got it to work fine. I wasn't confident in those two clips. If I had more of them, I would have used them instead of glue

Offline Lbs

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017 - 11:45:37 PM »
Harbor Freight clamps and Staples clamps. Ha.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017 - 11:50:20 AM »
I think the only thing I glued was the side window area. It wasn't glued originally though. The factory just used two "U" shaped clips per side. They got it to work fine. I wasn't confident in those two clips. If I had more of them, I would have used them instead of glue

I'm probably doing too much here. I  ended up gluing the sides and I ordered ten of the clips. That ought to hold it for awhile.

1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline usraptr

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017 - 07:43:11 PM »
When I glued the sides of my headliner I used paint sticks on the inside against the headliner material to apply even pressure while the glue dried and used the both types of clips that Lbs showed to hold them in place.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017 - 07:53:00 PM by usraptr »
1970 Plymouth 'Cuda.  Matching numbers 440 U Code, 4 speed pistol grip, Rallye dash, AM 8 Track, Shaker hood, 15 inch rallye wheels, Dana 60 4.10, Super Track Pak.  One of 134 - 440 "U" coupes codes built in 1970 and one of 100 - 440 Super Track Paks built in 1970.

Restoration pictures at:  http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/Cars/70-Cuda/7240639_M24oi#465274575_2MBqW
(Edited 8-1-17)

"usraptr" = United States raptor - bird of prey = United States Bald Eagle.  FYI, somebody else thought of it first so I had to drop the "O" in raptor.