Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: Changing oil pan in car ?  (Read 291 times)

Offline jim.k

Changing oil pan in car ?
« on: June 01, 2017 - 09:59:48 am »
Next thing I need to address is the oil pan. It has an aftermarket pan that the headers are dented to fit and headers are right up against pan. Was thinking of going back to a stock type pan. I know best way is to pull engine but can it be changed in car ?  73 cuda 340. New headers not in the budget right now. Want dougs ceramic coated eventually.

Offline Rich G

Re: Changing oil pan in car ?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017 - 12:21:00 pm »
It can but your going to have to jack the motor up to clear everything. Take the dist. out too so you don't snap it against the firewall.

Offline jim.k

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017 - 12:40:52 pm »
Ok. I'll give it a shot. I'll take pictures of the way it is. One header pipe is dented halfway   They must have REALLY wanted that pan on.  :wow:   I wonder if it still has stock pickup with the deeper pan. Hmmm
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017 - 12:44:35 pm by jim.k »

Offline 340-FOUR- BARRELL

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017 - 03:10:16 pm »
It seems if you raised the engine to replace the oil pan the following will have to be done: Disconnect exhaust, remove engine & transmission mounts, remove dizzy (as mentioned), carb linkage, several hoses, few wires, plug tranny tail shaft to prevent spilling of fluid/ gear oil. Powerhouse Products makes a plastic tail shaft plug that has a universal double end that has worked, well for me. May the force be with you.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017 - 03:12:13 pm by 340-FOUR- BARRELL »

Online 1 Wild R/T

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017 - 09:37:07 pm »
It seems if you raised the engine to replace the oil pan the following will have to be done: Disconnect exhaust, remove engine & transmission mounts, remove dizzy (as mentioned), carb linkage, several hoses, few wires, plug tranny tail shaft to prevent spilling of fluid/ gear oil. Powerhouse Products makes a plastic tail shaft plug that has a universal double end that has worked, well for me. May the force be with you.

Wow...   through the years I've raised allot of engines, never had to Disconnect exhaust, remove engine & transmission mounts,  carb linkage, several hoses, few wires, plug tranny tail shaft... However you do need to unbolt the fan shroud... It can float on the fan but if you don't unbolt it expect to buy a new one...

Yes you remove the through bolt from the engine mounts but they can stay bolted to the engine... Trans mount? don't touch it... Carb linkage, hoses, wires? don't touch any of them...

You can either lift the engine with a jack on the pan then block the engine mounts & remove the jack... Or an engine hoist, or an engine support bar...
JS27N0B 70 Challenger R/T Convertible  FJ5 Sublime, Show Poodle w/90,000 miles since resto
WS27L8G 68 Coronet R/T Convertible  PP1 Bright Red, Project
RM21H9E 69 Road Runner Coupe R4 Performance Red, Sold...
5H21C  65 Falcon 2 dr Wagon... Dog Hauler...

Offline 340-FOUR- BARRELL

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017 - 10:49:48 pm »
Wow...   through the years I've raised allot of engines, never had to Disconnect exhaust, remove engine & transmission mounts,  carb linkage, several hoses, few wires, plug tranny tail shaft... However you do need to unbolt the fan shroud... It can float on the fan but if you don't unbolt it expect to buy a new one...

Yes you remove the through bolt from the engine mounts but they can stay bolted to the engine... Trans mount? don't touch it... Carb linkage, hoses, wires? don't touch any of them...

You can either lift the engine with a jack on the pan then block the engine mounts & remove the jack... Or an engine hoist, or an engine support bar...
Good to know. Last month, bought a 73 Challenger 340. The oil pan has a large dent on the bottom. Thought about replacing it. First impression was certain things need to be disconnected. You make it sound easier than I thought.

Offline jim.k

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017 - 06:50:31 am »
I've done it on a couple of cars but never one of these. My 78 vette was super easy. All depends on clearance.

Offline YellowThumper

• I left the snow for this?
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017 - 04:31:26 pm »
Yes motor needs to be raised slightly. But not enough to have to remove things if you are careful. Mine was off but fan would be first problematic area to remove.
I did the same on mine with using some blocks and some all thread.
Here is the link to my thread here.
Its a ways down on page 3.

https://www.theturboforums.com/threads/74-challenger-with-twins-no-sheetmetal-to-be-harmed.367115/page-3
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017 - 04:34:57 pm by YellowThumper »
Removing the warning labels one at a time.
Nature will take care of the rest.

Offline Mopar Mitch

• Autocrosser/Road Course Racer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017 - 06:51:09 pm »
While you're replacing the pan, perhaps with a stock pan, do the engine a favor and have some horizontal baffles welded above the sump so to control oil starvation... the factory design never had it... too bad MaMopar didn't incorporate them... saves bearings, etc during excelleration, deceleration, cornering.
Autocross/road racers go in deeper... and come out harder!

See  MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, AUGUST 2006 ISSUE for featured article and details on my autocross T/A.

Offline YO7_A66

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017 - 09:48:10 am »
 I tried to change the oil pan last Spring in my 70 Challenger/340/727. I could not lift the 340/727 high enough to get the clearance. The 727 was hitting on the trans tunnel. I have done it before with the trans out of the car.
 (disconnect fan/shroud too)

Offline jim.k

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017 - 03:21:15 pm »
starting in on the body work now so I probably wont drive it again til next year . so I will do it with engine out. best way anyway