Author Topic: Alterkation front suspension on a 1970 Cuda  (Read 1971 times)

Offline sk.cuda

Alterkation front suspension on a 1970 Cuda
« on: June 04, 2017 - 11:24:30 AM »
I have recently purchased the Alterkation front suspension from Reilly Motorsports after reviewing, comparing competing designs available.  I have purchased some stock suspension upgrades from the same company over the years, and have always been a satisfied customer.  Reviewing information available, web based, I haven't found any detailed information regarding criticism or support of the design other than year 2012 data.  My 1970 Cuda is a street legal, 9.8 second quarter mile car that I occasionally drive to local car shows.  I am in the process of an engine rebuild, and plan to ready the car for a 9.4 sec E/T quarter mile, and run a 9.5 index (for next year).  I would very much appreciate some opinions on the design, any issues others may have had including modifications recommended on the install of my new unit (which si on order, not yet received).  Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017 - 11:28:46 AM by sk.cuda »

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: Alterkation front suspension on a 1970 Cuda
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017 - 11:51:40 AM »
If you already purchased it, isn't it a bit late to ask for opinions on the design? After all, the design hasn't changed since the 2012 reviews you have already read.

The AlterK  is a decent  designed system for use in  dual purpose street strip cars. It is not the end all be all for every intended application, but then again, nothing is. Install it with Bill's recommended settings and  enjoy.

Offline sk.cuda

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017 - 01:58:31 PM »
Thank you, I perhaps could have been more clear, sorry for my misleading request.  After looking at the Magnum Force design, I along with my mechanic was more liking of the Alterkation front suspension.  Based upon that design, I was wondering if anyone found it necessary to modify it to improve lateral support at the back end of the frame... for example, adding a removable cross-over at the rear bolts. 
Thank you.

Offline winston wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017 - 04:43:43 PM »
The alternation front end is better than the magnum force imo. The sway bar brackets sit almost perfect to mount a vacuum pump with little fabrication work.

Offline sk.cuda

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017 - 04:45:48 AM »
Thank you

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017 - 09:17:45 PM »
The standard Magnumforce puts the coil loads into the stock mopar spring tower, which was not designed for that significant of a load. Over time, I could see these hammering the uni-body structure and popping welds or creating panel alignment issues. The Magnuforce Transformer unit addresses these shortcoming by providing a massive structure to support everything.

By contrast, AlterK has built in towers to support the spring loads.

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017 - 06:09:07 PM »
Only nit I heard about the RMS (and maybe all them) is that the rack and pinion front steer system increases turning radius.

Other than that, no issues from what I understand.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO