Author Topic: I'm the Dreamer no more, bought my Challenger today!!!!  (Read 322 times)

Offline DrEamer

I'm the Dreamer no more, bought my Challenger today!!!!
« on: September 09, 2017 - 12:27:24 am »
  When I joined this site, I called myself DrEamer, since I did not own a E body, but dreamed of getting one again. Today that changed. After months of eBay, craigslist, and every other form of internet searching, I bought myself a project 1973 Challenger. I found it on eBay after seeing it on craigslist somewhat locally. They started out a crazy price, but reality and time pressure made it to where I could afford it. I've never bought a car sight unseen, but after talking to the seller a good long time, I'm confident that I paid a fair price. My plans are to resto-mod it, but keep as much of the original flavor of the car as I can. Also, I think I will change it to a 1970, just because that was the first year of Challenger that I fell in love with "back in the day." It will be another week before I get it home, but other then that, all I can say is  :woohoo::jumping: :bigsmile:

Oh ya, teaser pic.
Well, I had to start somewhere.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
Re: I'm the Dreamer no more, bought my Challenger today!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017 - 12:34:14 am »
far out!
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.
Up to 4000 RPM, Warp Speed, Up to 5000, Rediculous Speed, Up to 6000 RPM, Ludicrous Speed!

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017 - 01:00:19 am »
Outstanding, good for you! 

Not sure what your experience level is but trust me when I say anyone can do the work on these cars if they are patient and do the homework along the way. Your plans of converting it to a 70 are very doable. Understand that halfway into it, you will feel overwhelmed and may doubt your ability to finish it right. That's when you take a step back to regroup, ask lots of questions of the folks in here, and then just focus on one small thing at a time until you get past the hurdles.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017 - 01:45:09 am »
Cool Beans   :woo:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Online 73440

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017 - 01:59:36 am »
Good deal !
67 440
73 Barracuda w/ 68 440
65 Plymouth Fury III , I sold ,was my Nana's car till 92 yo.
51 Ford F1 239 Flathead, flipped , new cab , stolen
59 BelAir 283 4 door original patina
01 Chevy van 380,223 miles
06 Crown Vic Police Interceptor
75 HD Ironhead converted to RH shift
73 HD Ironhead
82 HD Ironhead
74 Norton 850
80 HD Shovelhead
80 Husqvarna WR 390

Offline JoeGrapes

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017 - 07:12:24 am »
Looks good. You'll have fun. Beekeeper is right about feeling overwhelmed at times. I was so excited when I bought my car 18 years ago. Then the next morning I spent time looking at it and that's when it hit me. I walked back in the house and said to my wife, "OMG what did I do" after realizing all that needed to be done. Remember it's like eating an elephant, one bite at a time.

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017 - 08:07:16 am »
Congrats! :cheers: :thumbsup:
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline djw383

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017 - 09:56:51 am »
Doing at least one thing every day pays off,  even if it is cleaning 1 bolt, or doing the research to order 1 part, or simply reorganizing the parts pile, it adds up. Keeps you motivated by seeing progress. I use to try and spend one hour a night after the family went to bed...after a week that ends up being a full days work....when funds run out, there is always a ton of stuff to do that does not cost money....and be sure to enjoy the rewards along the way like admiring a freshly painted part...

Offline 340-FOUR- BARRELL

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017 - 01:23:20 pm »
Jolly Good Show. Your story is similar to mine. Watched a 73 Challenger #'s matching 340 posted several times on CL with a firm price.  When it didn't sell, the seller put it on eBay with no reserve. The last 10 seconds of the auction  I submitted a bid 20% less than his CL " firm price". Up came "Congradulations! You WON!"  :cooldancing:

Offline cudamadd

• oldmancuda@hotmail.com
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017 - 05:57:14 pm »
congratulations on your project . 1  step at a time and your dream will come true. Well done  :aussie:
Go 4 a spin Ya Why Not.

Offline dakota

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017 - 08:33:26 pm »
Congrats on your purchase.   I would echo the advice of Beekeeper and others around doing a steady stream of small things to make progress.

Offline AARuFAST

• AARuFAST
  • Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017 - 10:25:43 pm »
"Get er Done"
1970 AAR Cuda
1970 Gran Coupe Ragtop. 1 of 66
Gran Cpe Convertible 1 yr only.

" I Want to Ride "

" I tried to be normal once...
it was the most boring
2 minutes of my life!!!!"

Offline DrEamer

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017 - 10:48:16 pm »
Outstanding, good for you! 

Not sure what your experience level is but trust me when I say anyone can do the work on these cars if they are patient and do the homework along the way. Your plans of converting it to a 70 are very doable. Understand that halfway into it, you will feel overwhelmed and may doubt your ability to finish it right. That's when you take a step back to regroup, ask lots of questions of the folks in here, and then just focus on one small thing at a time until you get past the hurdles.

Thanks for the advice, you have given solid advise to me in the past when I first joined the forum. You may not remember what you said, but it was about me looking for a car in the first place.  Here was your quote:

"The right deal really does come along at times but the people who are able to make their dream materialize are the ones who have cash ready to go and also don't spend too much time kicking tires. Figure out what your budget is and have that cash in an envelope in your safe if you can.

E body cars are super hot so try to learn what you can about values and problems to avoid ahead of time so when that special deal comes along, you can quickly assess and pull the trigger before someone has a chance to buy it out from under you. None of us enjoy hearing the story about "I could've" or "I should've." We love seeing follow up posts with pictures of the new car you just scored much more!"

Funny how that exactly worked out.

As far as my skill set, I have built a couple of race cars, and worked in an alignment shop for a couple of years. So, I enjoy engine work , plus can handle most suspension and brake work. My weakness is body and paint, but I have a couple of friends that do it on the side. I also have a couple of friends that own restoration/hot rod shops if I need a professional. At this point money and time will most likely hold me back more then anything.   

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017 - 11:47:48 pm by DrEamer »
Well, I had to start somewhere.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017 - 11:18:52 pm »
Congrats on your recent score! Figure a budget and then 2.5 times it and you'll be close, just close. It'll be worth it in the long run, though!  :wave:

Offline 70chall440

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017 - 11:29:37 pm »
Money and time are always the nemesis of any build...  :bigsmile:

Congrats, look forward to the build.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6, 73 Cuda (under const)
05 Durango, 99 Dakota, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR, 61 Jeep FC170
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)