Author Topic: Custom Trunk Interior  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Mickm

Custom Trunk Interior
« on: December 16, 2018 - 11:47:50 PM »
Hello all,
A year or so ago I did a build thread on a custom trunk for the TINFISH. It was constructed from wood and fiberglass, covered with foam and ultra leather. Well, I was pleased with the results, especially since I am not  an interior guy. However, it has never had the look that I think is best for a Cuda. I say this because the original interior is mostly formed ABS plastic. So.....I decided to see if it possible to make a new trunk interior that would more represent the theme of the original cars interior design.

I am learning as I am going here but  thought I would share and see what everyones thoughts were.

The following pictures show the back, sides and front completed. I had an issue getting the seams to fit properly but after a lot of head scratching Captain Morgan threw out the idea of attaching all three panels together~~~ Wa-la~~~ This also made it possible to mount everything and not see any fasteners!!!

Here is a shot from the rear left. The picture was lightened via Photoshop as the original was too dark.
Note, the latch cover is not made yet.

Here's one from the right rear. Notice the trunk light switch on the left side panel, rear.

This one from the rear shows the original speaker ring still covered in red ultra leather. I am giving thought to finishing it our and painting it black, red or silver.  Any suggestions?

Also, the first two pics show a .75" foam pan in the floor, while the third shows the board I cut out.

I am going to get some auto carpet in the morning and look at it both ways to see which I like better.

Then I will address the latch cover. The final item to address will be the hinge openings. My plan it to form some plastic cups that will slide into the openings with a rolled lip and have the whiskers installed inside.

I am very pleased with the results thus far. I think this looks much more in keeping with the original interior design.....and the tighter rear panel offers a few inches of additional room.

Thanks for input and ideas in advance.

Cheers!
Mickm
MickM

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
Re: Custom Trunk Interior
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018 - 12:57:52 AM »
Again, awesome job. As to the color I have to say I think it looks good as it.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline Mickm

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018 - 09:57:03 AM »
Thanks 70chally440 for the kind words and input.

Cheers!
Mickm
MickM

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018 - 10:55:08 PM »
Nice work and well done, but that'd make the trunk in my Challenger even more useless than it pretty much is now!  :cheers:
PS- I actually throw $hite in my trunk and drive the car.

Offline Mickm

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018 - 12:58:30 PM »
Jimynick,
Thanks for the kind words. There is certainly not much room in the trunk when you go this approach but I do have some useful space behind the back panel that I use to house tools, towels and cleaning supplies.
PS-I use my trunk too and when I travel, it is full of ****e, lol.

Cheers!
Mickm
MickM