Author Topic: '68 Hemi Dart... 0-60 mph in 3.2 seconds?  (Read 10197 times)

Offline Fleet 500

'68 Hemi Dart... 0-60 mph in 3.2 seconds?
« on: January 03, 2007 - 06:59:33 PM »
I was reading some comments on http://carsurvey.org  and someone mentioned the '68 Hemi Dart. He accurately posted the 1/4 mile figures of 10.5 secs/130 mph (no modifications). He then posted a claim of 3.2 seconds for 0-60 mph. Does anyone here know of a 0-60 mph figure for the Hemi Darts (or Barracudas)? Do you think they are capable of a 3.2 sec 0-60 mph time?

I would say yes. I've read that the Yenko Novas could do a 3.5 second 0-60, so it's not hard to believe that the Hemi Darts could run low-3s.

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
Re: '68 Hemi Dart... 0-60 mph in 3.2 seconds?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 - 07:07:34 PM »
It sounds reasonable to me!
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007 - 07:09:36 PM »
I'll check and see next time I get the Beast out of the garage and take her for a spin.....     :burnout:   :bigshades:   :cooldancing: 
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline Fleet 500

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007 - 07:13:46 PM »
It sounds reasonable to me!
I had a feeling that Mopar fans would agree.  :grinyes:

Offline Fleet 500

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007 - 07:16:59 PM »
I'll check and see next time I get the Beast out of the garage and take her for a spin.....     :burnout:   :bigshades:   :cooldancing: 
Considering how fast 60 mph comes up, it may be hard to time it.

But, that is one of two things I've always wondered about Mopars...
1. What is the 0-60 mph time of a Hemi-Dart/Barracuda.
2. What is the top speed of a stock '69 Hemi Dodge Charger Daytona/'70 Plymouth Superbird. (With 3.23 gears, or 2.93 or 2.76... whatever.)

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007 - 07:49:56 PM »
Considering how fast 60 mph comes up, it may be hard to time it.

But, that is one of two things I've always wondered about Mopars...
1. What is the 0-60 mph time of a Hemi-Dart/Barracuda.

Should be able to come close with a G-Tech.  I'll see what I can come up with on that.

2. What is the top speed of a stock '69 Hemi Dodge Charger Daytona/'70 Plymouth Superbird. (With 3.23 gears, or 2.93 or 2.76... whatever.)

There used to be a Dodge Daytona (red one) in the Talledega Motor Museum.  It was driven by Bobby Isaacs in a top speed test for Mopar at the track.  It was stock except for the following mods:
Eliminated the points and went electronic ignition to eliminate point bounce at high rpm.
Open cast iron factory exhaust manifolds.
Removed the air cleaner.
Made sure the engine was tuned perfectly.
Mounted dual shocks at each corner to keep it steady.
Ran grand national wheels and tires for grip and safety.

The top speed was 210.XX on the front straightaway.  Don't confuse this with a 210 mph lap time.  It was a short term top speed.
He had to slow down in order to make the entrance to turn 1 without crashing.  Last I heard, that car and the story about that run are still there....     :cooldancing:   

Ken  --  In Georgia

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007 - 07:52:42 PM »
I find it hard to believe if it is 100% stock with bias-ply tires. With a set of slicks I would easily believe it....
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007 - 07:57:32 PM »
I find it hard to believe if it is 100% stock with bias-ply tires. With a set of slicks I would easily believe it....

Killer--which car are you talin' about?  The drag car or the wing car?

The drag cars ran slicks and the wing car did run grand national wheels and tires for the test.  Grand National tires were bias ply slicks with inner liners.  Very similar to the tires Bill Elliot ran 213.XX on........     
Ken  --  In Georgia

Offline Fleet 500

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007 - 08:47:53 PM »
There used to be a Dodge Daytona (red one) in the Talledega Motor Museum.  It was driven by Bobby Isaacs in a top speed test for Mopar at the track.  It was stock except for the following mods:
Eliminated the points and went electronic ignition to eliminate point bounce at high rpm.
Open cast iron factory exhaust manifolds.
Removed the air cleaner.
Made sure the engine was tuned perfectly.
Mounted dual shocks at each corner to keep it steady.
Ran grand national wheels and tires for grip and safety.

The top speed was 210.XX on the front straightaway.  Don't confuse this with a 210 mph lap time.  It was a short term top speed.
He had to slow down in order to make the entrance to turn 1 without crashing.  Last I heard, that car and the story about that run are still there....     :cooldancing:   
Wow... that is very good. I can see why Bobby said that anyone could drive a Hemi-Daytona right off the showroom floor and go 180 mph.!
210 mph was a little more than I would have guessed, even with the listed modifications.

Offline Fleet 500

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007 - 08:49:28 PM »

Killer--which car are you talin' about?  The drag car or the wing car?

The drag cars ran slicks and the wing car did run grand national wheels and tires for the test.  Grand National tires were bias ply slicks with inner liners.  Very similar to the tires Bill Elliot ran 213.XX on........     
I think he is referring to the drag car. I have seen photos of them being delivered to Chrysler showrooms and I did notice that they did indeed were wearing slicks.

Offline chrisII

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007 - 05:42:22 AM »
for wiw i was wound pretty tight in my 74 charger at aprox 150 with 2.73 gears. i would think that top end in an aero car would be determined by gear ratio and how much room you had

Offline Fleet 500

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007 - 11:12:22 PM »
This post got me wondering...
Are the Hemi-'Cudas and Darts street legal?
I've heard that when they originally sold there were not licensed for street use, but I heard that some owners managed to license them. I do know that they had functional headlights and windshield wipers.

You don't have to answer, Oldschool, if you don't want to- I don't want to get you in trouble with the state.  ;)

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007 - 08:27:08 AM »
This post got me wondering...
Are the Hemi-'Cudas and Darts street legal?
I've heard that when they originally sold there were not licensed for street use, but I heard that some owners managed to license them. I do know that they had functional headlights and windshield wipers.

You don't have to answer, Oldschool, if you don't want to- I don't want to get you in trouble with the state.  ;)

I'm on thin ice here...    :roflsmiley:   The Beast is street legal as long as it doesn't rain...   No wiper motor..   :grinno:  Other than that, it has all of the required stuff, all lights are functional and operate normally, exhaust system,   :blah:   :blah:    Mine is a well done recreation ( the Beast is a '69 made into a '68 SS car)  The NHRA has even accepted well done '69's as legal SS cars to race in the SS/AH Hemi Challenge.  The '69 Darts haven't been accepted yet.  This car was raced and then de-tuned and put back on the street.  It has run in the high 7's in match race trim.  It would take about $5000-$6000 to put it solidly in the mid 8's.  I'm gonna leave it as is because I get more enjoyment out of cruising around to car shows and cruise ins and letting folks check it out.  It's fun to drive, sounds awesome, and will run when I want it to.....   :burnout:    Plus, it's very intimidating to the ricers.....   :roflsmiley:   :smilielol:   :bigsmile:   :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

Offline Fleet 500

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007 - 01:37:32 PM »
Yeah, I had a feeling that yours is street-legal.
I have seen a few Hemi-'Cudas and Darts at car shows and it looks like they were driven off the street. I think many owners of those cars licesned them and drove them on the street even though some car fans think that wasn't possible.
Sometimes, on other message boards, the subject comes up... "What was the fastest 1/4 mile time for a production car."
When I mention the Hemi-'Cudas and Darts, there is always someone who claims that the weren't street legal. My answer: "Some certainly were driven on the street."

And, yes, I'm sure yours scares the rice-car drivers!

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007 - 03:56:39 PM »
Just to add my 2 pennies here. When Oldschool starts up that Cuda... the rest of us know we are just playing games with horse power here.   :o  :o  :o

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.