Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: Need a Vehicle Inspection Near Greenville, NC  (Read 165 times)

Offline challengermaniac

Need a Vehicle Inspection Near Greenville, NC
« on: June 10, 2017 - 03:02:45 PM »
Hey guys,

I am hopeful of hearing from someone on C-C that could do a complete vehicle inspection for me in the  Greenville, NC area.  Preferably with some knowledge and experience spotting Rust, panel fitment, paint and finish quality, ability to view the underside for damage or rust, able to confirm operation of the electrical components and listen to a running motor for any variance. 

If willing and interested please send me a pm.  Willing to compensate for confidential feedback, time, effort and knowledge.
Charlie
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline challengermaniac

Re: Need a Vehicle Inspection Near Greenville, NC
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017 - 09:55:16 PM »
Okay, to over simplify, what ideas might you guys have for purchasing a classic car long distance from a private seller whom is very conservative, wanting the funds to clear her bank prior to releasing the car?  How can I put a long distant deal together and have my funds protected?  Does it come down to flying out and if so, I would still have to go through my bank as can't carry that much cash on a plane!
Charlie
70 Challenger T/A Red
Edmonds, WA

Offline DrEamer

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017 - 01:28:07 AM »
Okay, to over simplify, what ideas might you guys have for purchasing a classic car long distance from a private seller whom is very conservative, wanting the funds to clear her bank prior to releasing the car?  How can I put a long distant deal together and have my funds protected?  Does it come down to flying out and if so, I would still have to go through my bank as can't carry that much cash on a plane!

Maybe the best way to send the cash is to wire/transfer the money from your bank to hers. Prearrange with your bank that you are going to do it before going down. After you inspect the car, wire the money to her bank. Her bank should be able to confirm that the fund are clear right away in most cases.  I work for a car dealer, and that is how we have handled out of state deals in the past.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017 - 10:32:50 AM by DrEamer »

Offline Mpdlawdog

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017 - 07:53:28 AM »
I would absolutely never buy a car sight unseen!!!  I drove all the way from Ohio to Flordia to pick up a "rust free" 69 camaro convertible.(it looked like it it pics)...lets just say he lucky I do what I do for a living...most people are not honest about selling cars anymore...  I bought my 68 charger in Wis, my 84 cj in penn., my LJ in nc, my f350 in In, and my challenger in Mi.....I like road trips I guess...but there is nothing like seeing it in person and most people will deal when they know you have cash in hand :2cents:

Offline Tantster

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017 - 10:06:07 PM »
Touch base with Clark Classic Restorations. Not sure they do this, but it's worth a call. They are in Greenville and are stand up people. Talk to Walt, they are on Facebook as well and you can see some of the cars they worked on.

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017 - 12:31:23 AM »
I sold a boat to a guy who just happened to be visiting from another state. Since it was impulsive on his part, no prearrangement was made. What we did was he and I drove to his bank and I watched the teller cut me a cashiers check. I knew it was not a counterfeit and he was protected as well.

When I've sold cars long distance, I've always insisted on bank wire before the car gets loaded or title signed off. The wire arrangement protects the seller but the buyer is forced to trust that he doesn't get screwed as wires cannot be reversed and the bank won't help you recover your money.

Flying out really is the best way to buy a car. If it were in So. Cal., I'd help you out with a good inspection.

Offline Soy bomb

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017 - 09:16:51 AM »
Wire transfers can take up to a few days to show. It depends when the receiving bank does their end of the deal. I just went through this on a deal that didn't go down. Your bank cannot give you any protection once that money goes, period !!! After multiple calls to the City's consumer protection dept.'s and DA's office about protections and recourse of action for a buyer about a long distance deal, here was my conclusion. Aside from being able to have a cashiers check made up, during banking hours, with the seller present, I would only use an accredited escrow company, unless the vehicle is being purchased from a well known, long established dealership.  There are good escrows online. The fee is more than reasonable. Here's how it goes. Set up the account and deposit the money. Seller can check and verify funds are their and clear. Seller sends title to escrow company ( Usually a separate service that is offered ). Car is picked up by carrier. Once car is received, escrow is informed and payment released to seller. Title is released to new owner. This is all assuming that you have inspected the car personally or had a trusted inspector do it for you. The car I was going to buy was on the other side of the country and frankly I don't have the time or money to be flying all over creation for every car I may buy. Find an excellent pre purchase inspector, not difficult to do, in the area. Tell him what concerns you most and ask for thorough photo and video documentation. You want a test drive too. You don't want his opinion on the value, that's your's to determine. You just want accurate info and him to be picky as all heck. You determine what is and what is not acceptable for you to purchase. If a seller wasn't open to this idea and I wasn't able to do the transaction in person with a trailer on site, I'd move on. Too many thieves and scammers these days. Too bad, but it's true.