Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: Dash cap or ABS/steel dash core?  (Read 120 times)

Offline lee01

Dash cap or ABS/steel dash core?
« on: May 17, 2017 - 08:53:15 AM »
I'm back after many years of not having an old mopar.
I have  73 Cuda and I need a dash.
Now I could repair the many splits and refinish the textured look to the best I can. (beeing doing this on old trans am)
But what are my ''new'' options today?
I found
-Dash cap
-ABS or Steel core dash

any feedback or input on fit and finish on them?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017 - 08:57:10 AM by lee01 »
Current Project
73 'Cuda 360

Offline lee01

Re: Dash cap or ABS/steel dash core?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017 - 01:44:32 PM »
well after making many forums searches and google pictures.. I will try to repair my dash pas in hoping to save a fews hundred dollars.
Beeing in Canada, most supplier want over 100-175$ alone for postage up north.
With the exchange rate and duty a cap will cost me around 400$ Cnd.

I will repair my dash since its almost out of the car and make a DIY w/pics if I succeed  :2thumbs:
Current Project
73 'Cuda 360

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017 - 09:51:48 AM »
Depends on what your end goal and budget are. A reconstructed, oem looking dash will cost over $1000 us. By contrast, a dash cap will cost $125 US. If you are doing a full blown resto on the vehicle, the dash cap will not look 100% correct. It does sit slightly elevated over defrost ducts and the vin plate and can have slight gaps along the bottom edge. If you have a decent driver with a few flaws here and there, the cap may blend in fairly well and not be very noticeable.

I decided to cap my dash. My budget simple isn't there for a $1000 dash pad and for my vehicle, it would be like putting lipstick on a pig. The cap looks a million times better than the cracked, split, and flaking original pad. I did have to do a fair amount of surgery to the original pad to get all the cracks and peaks leveled out so the cap would sit flat, and there is the risk of new cracks developing under the cap or old cracks flaring up and pushing against the cap, but I'm willing to take that risk for now.

Maybe in another decade, I can have by dash repadded.

Offline lee01

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017 - 10:19:14 AM »
I will start with cheapest first, my car is will never be a high dollar 1 of none (73 Cuda Green on Green 318), so i'll try to repair the best I can.
I don't like the elevation on at the vent and vin plate.

I will try to do like I did on two of my previous Trans Am
Only issue I have its not the same finsh/grain as the pontiac, but my dash only have two splits.
Will see, I like this challenge.

Past dash work.

Current Project
73 'Cuda 360

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017 - 02:55:43 PM »
Mine was way past a couple of cracks. I have huge gaps and separation with missing chunks of foam and vinyl sections that are gone.

Good luck with your repairs.