Author Topic: Saving a 4 speed JH car  (Read 11886 times)

Offline 73_Cuda_4_Me

Re: Saving a 4 speed JH car
« Reply #165 on: May 19, 2017 - 09:44:40 am »
 :2thumbs:
1973 Plymouth Cuda BS23H3B567783

R11 V6X EN2
M21 M25 M31 M88 N41 N42
V1X U B41 C56 G37 J54
JY9 A6X9 0 703 501616
E55 D34 BS23 H3B 567783

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2017 - 09:49:16 pm »
Been a couple months. The heat out here has kept us mostly indoors. Decided to get back into it this past weekend despite the never ending heatwave.

Got the fenders, doors, and hood all on and got it all to line up nicely. After that, I finally got to welding on the inner fender wall braces. It all came out very nice. I even got one of the front torque boxes welded in too. Very close to starting the back half of the car. I wanted to try and get the car rolling around so I can reposition it first.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2017 - 10:08:43 pm »
Lookin' good!  :thumbsup:

Offline redo1973

« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2017 - 10:57:58 pm »
Looks awesome. :wow:

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2017 - 11:53:53 pm »
Thanks guys. Any thoughts on the best way to properly tackle the back half? I'll get some good photos posted of the rust damage in the next day or two. The initial photos I posted when I started this thread show a little bit of what I'll be dealing with. Overall, the back looks as bad as the front once did so I know it's doable if I take my time and plan it right.

Both quarters are rusted out below the body line. The trunk floor and trunk quarter extensions are wasted. The rear frame rails are trash for at least 18" from the the rear. There is some rust damage in both rear wheel houses. There is the usual rust at the Dutchman panel along the rear window. In addition, there is some minor TC damage at the back tail panel. Because the floor and rails were rusted away, the force of a relatively minor hit caused the driver quarter to buckle above the body line slightly.

I'll get some good photos up soon. I'd love to hear some ideas on the safest way to do this. Not worried about work involved. I just don't want the car to look twisted by not getting all the exterior sheet metal lined up perfectly. I'm thinking there is no room for error in the back since I don't get to adjust panels like I can in the front.

Offline Cudakiller70

« Reply #170 on: July 26, 2017 - 02:11:36 am »
I Remember when it looked like this! Wow amazing!  :2thumbs:
We're a little bit north, ya heat is little too much lately  :faint:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017 - 02:15:23 am by Cudakiller70 »
Auto spell I'm tired of your shirt
The above is just my opinion
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Offline redo1973

« Reply #171 on: July 26, 2017 - 10:16:17 pm »
You've gone beyond what I've had to do in the front.  As for the back, I was fortunate to have the trunk floor and extension already done. But when I took over i took one panel at a time to maintain solid reference points.  There are other with more expertise but I would think removing the floor and rails would be first so that the quarter panels and wheel wells are kept in tack and solid. But, honestly, I am a novice so my approach is probably ultra conservative compared to others.  Kudos to your workmanship! One caution I've read in Mopar muscle is if you need to cut into the package tray and supports.  This area is critical and for sure should have bracing since so many point hang off it, dutchmen, wheel wells, quarters.

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #172 on: July 26, 2017 - 10:51:16 pm »
I haven't studied things super close just yet but I was thinking along the lines of what you said. Ideally I don't want to disturb the package tray or drop down bracing the connects the package shelf to the wheel houses. This is kinda what I was thinking:

1) Remove floor and side quarter extensions
2) Repair rails as needed but leave everything in place as a guide
3) maybe trim away the rusted areas of the quarters to get to solid metal and see what I'm dealing with
4) repair or replace wheel houses as needed

From here, maybe put the main trunk floor in if I can get it in easily. Then perhaps work on the tail panel while the quarters are still in place to aid in proper alignment. Then one quarter at a time. I'm kinda thinking about doing Dutchman panel last so it can also be used to aid alignment on the quarters.

Offline jimynick

• Resident
« Reply #173 on: July 26, 2017 - 11:04:38 pm »
On mine, I had to change nearly all of what you describe with the exception of the rails. If the rails are salvageable in their frt section, I'd splice them. Look carefully and measure their position both in height and width, then I'd cut the whole damn thing off. Set up a support for the rails so that they're where they should be and then put all the tin on it and clamp/Cleco it together. I found the AMD wheelhouses fit like $hite so be prepared to "massage" those. I'd try to use full 1/4's since that'll get rid of the damage while restoring the integrity at the same time. I put the floor in first with the trunk extensions but, as mentioned, don't weld anything yet and then fit the inner wheelhouses as well as possible and just stick the outers in for the time being. Hang the 1/4's and see where you're at for door fits (the doors being on in their nicely adjusted positions already eh. I'd leave the dutchman or upper trunk panel as we call it here until later. Fit the lower trunk panel in and hang the deck lid and see where you're at. With everything loose you can push/pull to try to get your fit. Don't weld the 1/4's to the trunk extensions until you've fitted and adjusted the rear valance. It's a big jig saw puzzle and patience is a virtue. Using the existing upr trk pnl helps give a base to work from for the deck lid and 1.4's. Now you're really getting into it, but based on what I've seen so far, you can do it. Good luck!  :cheers:

Offline 70chall440

• Resident
« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2017 - 01:52:53 pm »
Id offer this advice; tack in as many "supports" as you feel you need to keep things in the right place while you work on it; as an example, take in a support bar between the frame rails where they are good so that they do not move. Then get the trunk floor and extensions out, fix the ends of the frame rails, then put the new floor and extensions in. This will give you a solid base to work from for the rear quarters, taillight panel, etc. You might also tack in some supports for the dutchman panel until you get the quarters positioned and clamped. Clecos are your friend as well as a pile of welding clamps (Harbor Freight).
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6, 73 Cuda (under const)
05 Durango, 99 Dakota, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR, 61 Jeep FC170
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2017 - 09:26:00 pm »
Ok, I will take your guys' advice on this. I do have tones of clamps and clecos to help out. I also have a nice stash of spare angle iron to put in some temp bracing.

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2017 - 10:44:27 pm »
So here's a few photos of the back end. Hoping to spend some time this weekend opening it up a bit for better inspection.

Offline Beekeeper

« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2017 - 10:53:43 pm »
Need to get the rear window and trim out first. Probably do some trimming with the plasma cutter to the back part of the trunk floor and lower quarters just to get a better look. I have some wheels that were designed to bolt to the leaf springs. Problem is I need that area open to work. I think what I'll do is fabricate some sort of stanchions that I can bolt to the front torque boxes with my bolt on wheels on bases at the bottoms. Then I can get the height of the rear the same as the front and still have room to work.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2017 - 10:59:49 pm »
Wow  :worshippy

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Cudakiller70

« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2017 - 11:38:28 pm »
 :scared: 
Auto spell I'm tired of your shirt
The above is just my opinion
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams