Author Topic: Another 70 Challenger with pics  (Read 3950 times)

Offline 06Daytona

Another 70 Challenger with pics
« on: May 14, 2011 - 10:12:15 PM »
After opting out of the 440 R/T after hearing opinions here my wife went onto the Puerto Rico classifieds again and found this one. The VIN is js23n0bXXXXXX and it apparently has the original 383 auto in it(I'm checking it out on Sunday). The things that I noticed right off the bat are
1. Red steering column which isn't a big deal as the car is being bought as a fixer upper.
2. 72,3,4 grille in it (I was told the grille got broken and finding a 70 grille down here is like finding a Hemi sitting at the side of the road)
3. Wrong center caps on the wheels
4. It has traction bars
Here are the pics I was sent to me.

No pic of the fender tag but I'm going to get one tomorrow(if it's there) when I see the car. I'm also interested to see what the driver side looks like since the pics he sent don't include the drivers side.
He's asking 9500 for it, but once again my wife thinks she can talk him down a little.

Since you guys saved me on the last one, I'd like opinions on this one too. I'll post more pics tomorrow after I get back from Cuda part shopping.
1972 Cuda 340 4 barrel 4 speed that looks like a 71
2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible (Kidmobile)
1972 Dodge Charger 318 auto
1970 Challenger 440/727 auto
1973 Plymouth Duster 340/auto (Making it Panther Pink for the wife)
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (It doesn't save gas, it just diverts it to the Cuda/Challenger)
In desperate need of more property for my growing Mopar family

Offline chad72

Re: Another 70 Challenger with pics
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011 - 10:58:30 PM »
hard to tell from pictures, but it looks pretty straight and solid. if it is (bring a magnet), and it is numbers matching, and the motor is not cracked in two, i'd say it sounds like a good deal. i'm not familiar with how it is in puerto rico, but since it is an island in the carribean, my main concern would be rust. make sure to check underneath the car, floors and framerails, and feel for soft spots under the vinyl top. looks like the glass and trim is all there and in decent shape. but i did notice the rear bumper guards were missing, as are the original exhaust tips. but it is defintely a better deal than the other one your posted, even if it is a 383 instead of a 440. if all is as it appears, it should be an easy resto, or a decent driver. good luck.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011 - 11:12:29 PM by chad72 »

Offline 06Daytona

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011 - 08:16:59 AM »
I noticed the missing exhaust tips, but I completely missed the bumper guards. I'm interested to see what's in the box in the trunk and the one on the passenger seat as well. Is the steering wheel on upside down too?

Cars in Puerto Rico tend to rust pretty much the same as other wet places, unless they live right next to the ocean and then they get really weird rust on them that looks like grinder slag. I was told that the engine needs rebuilding but I'm not sure if it runs as it is now.
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid (It doesn't save gas, it just diverts it to the Cuda/Challenger)

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011 - 09:11:58 AM »
i wouldnt pay 10k for that i see a 74 with built 440 fresh with plum crazy purple in alot better shape then this one for 8k on craigslist in michigan

Offline 06Daytona

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011 - 10:24:10 AM »
I don't have much interest in anything other than a 70 and there aren't many down here. There are quite a few 72+ Cudas and Challengers down here and occasionally one goes up for sale, but 70's and 71's are pretty rare. To buy one from the continental US just isn't worth it unless I get a screaming good deal. I'd have to fly over to look at it, pay to ship it to Jacksonville and then 1000 bucks to ship it to San Juan and then there's import tax that's about another 1000 bucks depending on the value of the car. 

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011 - 11:01:40 AM »
I'd double check for rust, if not too bad that's a reasonable price considering your location.
As you mentioned importing a car will add to the cost.

See if you can get him to go for $8k.

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011 - 11:26:31 AM »
Here's a couple quick things (besides what you already pointed out):

Trunk looks to have been replaced or fixed already (look at it really good and make sure it wasn't a hack job).  Steering column on a 70 rt with green interior should have been green along with the rubber 3 spoke wheel (scrape the red paint away to see if the green is still there).  The floor pan should not be black nor red and the carpet under the seat it for sure is not the original..... someone tried to fix something????? rust?????  It's got the expensive hard to find 8 track trim (R35 code on the fender tag?).  It looks to have a 71+ shift???  The 70's had "Slap Stick" below the number 1.  The "Challenger" script and mopar logo is missing from the front passenger fender and so is the hood call out emblem.  The holes appear to have been filled in where those emblems go.  LOOK FOR BONDO really because of the trunk fix, fender emblem holes being covered up, and the black / red floor pans tells me someone in the past tried to solve a rust issue when they repainted the car.

Overall, much better than the last one you looked at, but not sure it's worth 10K.   Does it run and drive so you can tell if the engine is ok?  Double check on the numbers too, but I would say if all the numbers are there and you know there is a chance of rust under the paint (and you're ok with it) I would say it's worth about 7k to 8k in your garage. 
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline n9671x2

• I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011 - 01:17:14 PM »
I don't have much interest in anything other than a 70 and there aren't many down here. There are quite a few 72+ Cudas and Challengers down here and occasionally one goes up for sale, but 70's and 71's are pretty rare. To buy one from the continental US just isn't worth it unless I get a screaming good deal. I'd have to fly over to look at it, pay to ship it to Jacksonville and then 1000 bucks to ship it to San Juan and then there's import tax that's about another 1000 bucks depending on the value of the car.
  If  you got this car, I am assuming your looking at doing a full restoration?  The shipping and tax you mentioned will be peanuts once you start redoing that car, if you can swing it you will be money way ahead buying a done car from the states and have it shipped to you.  You could probably find a board member or other someone else to check the car out for you.

Offline 06Daytona

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011 - 10:46:24 PM »
I'm looking for a project to work on. Once I finish the Charger then the Cuda is coming off the road and getting redone. There's a nice 70 Hemi Challenger down here that's all finished, and I don't have much interest in it because there's nothing for me to do on it.
I took a look at the green one today and got the full story on it with  twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles
and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was. Apparently the guy who owned the car before went out one night and had a few. He smacked up the front end and couldn't find a 70 as a parts car so he used a 73. He pulled a few other parts off it as well when things wore out. He was the kind of guy that used parts that fit, not necessarily the year correct ones. There were pics of it before the repaint and the only rust was on the right quarter in front of the wheel well and it was repaired not bad, not great, but not bad. The interior is original except the carpet and and the floors and trunk floor have been replaced and then sprayed with undercoat/sound deadener. The drivers fender has holes in it because the drunk thought the fin thingies on the 73 looked cool but he never got around to putting both of them on. The engine is numbers matching, and all the body numbers match the VIN. The steering column is green under all the red paint. I ran a magnet over the whole car and the only spot I found was on the right quarter right where the pic said it would be. There was even a pic of the 73 he pulled the parts off of. They were old school pics that require film, so they go with the car but I couldn't take them with me to scan them. He fired it up and it runs really rough with a regular miss, but it runs. I'm still considering it, but I'm going to ask around down here to see if I can scratch up a 70 grill before I make any decisions.

Offline ragtopdodge

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011 - 02:47:29 PM »
This car from Florida?

Forget it.  Cars from that state are pure rust buckets.

Plus looks to be a green on green car.  Uggghh...

'70 RT 383-autos are fairly common.  Find one already rotisserie-restored or a barn-find with original paint.  If parts are super hard to get where you're at, then I would get one as complete as possible.  Better yet, get one already done to avoid costly shipping of parts where you live.
'70 318-auto Chally 'vert
'71 383-auto 'Cuda 'vert (sold)
06 300c SRT8
04 2500 QCLB 4x4 HO

Offline Matt70

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011 - 03:23:43 PM »
Was the hole for the antenna covered up too?
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell