Author Topic: WIW??? Eye of beholder 1970 Barracuda  (Read 3607 times)

Offline Cuda_Kevin

WIW??? Eye of beholder 1970 Barracuda
« on: June 09, 2010 - 12:56:27 AM »
OK, I LOVE this website!!!!! I'm super new here and have been a MOPAR fan since I my first car was a 73' charger; that was when I was 16, and today, 18 years ago.....I still love em' and nothing compares to them as far as character and class and the sound of a MOPAR.  Why? Because you never see any on the road (where I'm from), plus they rule!!!!

So....I bought a 70' Barracuda last week, not a dream car, but a nice project. Pretty much all there BH23GOE w/ worked and really fresh 340-5/904 combo.   Not a numbers car and a little ragged out, but the driveline is solid and proven.  3/4 rear w/3.73 posi, cooked tires and all came for free.  Clean car on the bottom, exception trunk pans (patch job performed).  No rot anywhere on the frame, wheel wells, floor boards, towers, and nothing else underneath!  Disks up front, hooker comp headers, electrical in order.   It really seems to be a really clean Los Angeles, CA manufactured car.  Drove it for 2 hrs today, and seems to be reliable. Runs a little hot(190F cruising and 210F at a light), needs a HE 3 core rad and a shroud, which is on the way. Has a trouble starting when hot.....you know the bit....

RR Qtr (Correction LR) was hit and mud from front to back. 99% trim still there.  Replacement front windshield, all others original.  Clean panels everywhere else except for normal bumps and bruises; plus lower qtrs are starting to bubble. Valances, bezels, bumpers, straight and intact.  Interior is shot/modified, windows work, headliner sagging. needs a couple gaskets here and there. No fender tags, sticker or build sheet that I know of....  Not a restorer, but will be a great driver to me someday. Suspension is good, steering is ok and the box is loose. A bunch of rattles at 3-3.5k rpm, but I don't care, I still love it!!!!

Asking $9500, I got it for $8500 plus tax; and to me worth every penny! it's tough to find a good driver(if driven?) like this and the motor/trans is strong.  Body needs some TLC, but I'm a body guy, so no biggie.  Yes sir, I'm stoked!!!!! Not a gem, but it's a great starting point!

Here are some pics:  and yes the SS stripes will be gone soon!

« Last Edit: June 09, 2010 - 01:56:33 AM by Cuda_Kevin »
"I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help"  : )

Offline hpe600rt

• how sweet it is
Re: WIW??? Eye of beholder 1970 Barracuda
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010 - 06:10:00 AM »
nice ride

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010 - 08:03:05 AM »
Nice Catch Kevin.  Welcome On the E-body Wagon.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Challenger III

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010 - 11:33:09 AM »
 :wave: Great starting point!  You got a good deal on that one from what I can see. Welcome to the crew!
Mike    Yakima, Washington

Resto Thread:  http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=66668.0

Offline Cooter

• There goes the lone Challenger............
    • christinecarclub.com
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010 - 12:12:40 PM »
Nice Score! Damn, as if these cars didn't resemble the '69 Camaro enough, someone goes and puts SS stripes on one........
1958 plymouth Belvedere 2dr hd top "Christine" [OO)====V====(OO]
1969 dodge Charger "General Lee"         [___|______I______|___]                        
1968 Dodge Dart 2dr sedan 505" Stroker    (O]=0==========0=[O)                
1970 Challenger R/T Clone "Kowalski Special"   (OO) [___________] (OO)

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010 - 12:16:01 PM »
Welcome to the site, Kevin! :wave:  I'd say you did quite well on purchasing that car as it doesn't really look to be in too bad of shape. :cheers: Having a nicely built 340 already assembled & under the hood never hurts, too. :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Cuda_Kevin

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010 - 07:46:09 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys!  This site is really awesome and the knowledge here could fill a museum!!  I've always liked the E-body cars and kinda had my heart set on a challenger, but after looking this car over I thought I had to jump on it or I might not ever get into one. 

A little more info, the original seats were replaced with deep buckets from ProCar, still they are ragged.  Fog/driving lights not original.  Bumpers, not perfectionist straight, but not sure how many really are these days. Rear tail light panel is dented in a little bit I think....Is it supposed to be perfectly flat or should it be somewhat curved?

The ignition wiring needs a little organizing..... Needs a new battery....and prob a few more little things.

I just wanted to post up a little more information on what I was willing to pay for others to gauge what's out there.  If the car had 318 I'd of come down 2k to $6500 tops, now if it was the original 318 I would have come up from there.  I do think it was a pretty good deal overall for me and I'm really happy with the car thus far.

Here are some more pictures.... because everyone loves pictures right?!!!

Offline 1970 RT Challenger 1970

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010 - 07:59:47 PM »
Nice Car!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010 - 08:10:59 PM »
OK   Body-Guy-Kevin .... What are your plans?  :popcorn:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Cuda_Kevin

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010 - 09:04:35 PM »
Let's see, I"m just getting back into the seen, but for now, replace/improve rad, get some tires and drive it for a little bit.  Then work out any issues with whatever pops up.....

Send it out to get media blasted, then prime it.  Strip the jams and finish them off in what ever color I choose.  Put a skin on the LR quarter, clean up engine compartment and repaint.  Get the body straight and then shoot it!    Replace interior and misc. trim pieces.  Then run the shirt out of it!!!!

What else is there right?

It needs a little bit more than that, but thats the gist of it.... and to be honest, being out of the car seen for a long time I'm still trying to figure out a good way to organize this project.....  Opinions/advice on where to start????

Offline inot2old

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010 - 09:51:51 PM »
Welcome.  To get a running '70 Barracuda for under $10 grand is a good deal.

'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010 - 10:14:55 PM »
You got a good deal!  :2thumbs:  I paid more for mine than you did, but mine was numbers matching, but about the same condition.   

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline Cuda_Kevin

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010 - 04:40:17 AM »
OK here is a vid of the car.  I love it just the way it is and don't care about the body work at this moment.  I'm gonna drive her for a bit more before I tear into the body, I just have to.  Why not finish the tires off...?

http://files.me.com/vanbochoven/o7wgq8