Author Topic: 71 Barracuda Clone.  (Read 1752 times)

Offline willhaven

71 Barracuda Clone.
« on: February 18, 2007 - 11:33:34 PM »
71 Barracuda started off life as a /6 car. It now has a 1969 dated 440 with a column shift auto transmission. The motor has a new cam and heads and some upgrades, though nothing radical. 4 barrel carb.

Restoration was done in the mid 90s, no signs anywhere of any serious rust, but the underbody isn't detailed or anything like that. Some bubbling in the lower corner of the driver door. He says he took off the inside door panel and sees no signs from the inside of any issues, so it's probably somewhat minor rust. The paint is otherwise quite nice and presentable. Grille looks clean and straight.

It's got a go wing, dual painted mirrors, fender gills, rocker gill mouldings & 440 billboards. No A/C, though it does have power steering and power brakes.

The interior is very clean. Seats, dash, carpet, headliner and all glass are great.

He says it needs new tires because he has a heavy foot. :biggrin:

Any guesstimates? I was thinking anywhere in the 30-35K range would be reasonable. His price isn't much above that, so I would assume there is some wiggle room there. Especially when considering paint bubbles, lack of A/C, column shift and the need to spend hundreds on new tires.

I just thought I'd get a 2nd opinion. Thanks!

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: 71 Barracuda Clone.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007 - 12:13:58 AM »
With the rust issues, for that price, I am afraid the buyer will have to be a 71 lover. It would cost a bundle just to enjoy the evryday driver if he plans on restoring it. I think it's way too much myself. But who knows

Offline willhaven

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007 - 08:14:31 PM »
The underside looks pretty solid. The only area in question was just some flaky undercoating that probably didn't correctly adhere to whatever paint was underneath it. He's going to send me more images of the area to reassure me that the bottom of the car is solid. He seems really open about the condition of the car, which is nice. Every serious question I ask is answered. Of course I'd look at the car in person before buying to verify condition, etc.

I'm going to ask him to send me images of the paint bubbles on the door so I can get a feel for how big an area is affected. Is it possible that any issues associated with bubbling paint are minor, or is that usually a sign that significant work is needed?

Apparently the engine modifications are a bit more than I first thought. It's got a Holley 750, which is a race carb I guess. He also gave me the following info about the engine build.

I FORGOT SOME OF THE PARTS IN MY LAST E MAIL. HEADMAN HEADERS. AUXILLERY ELECTRIC
COOLING FAN. ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP. COMP FAST BLEED LIFTERS. AS FAR AS THE LIFTERS GO
I WAS EXPERIMENTING TO INCREASE THE VACUUM AT LOW RPM. IT HELPED THE THROTTLE RESPONSE. THEY STIFFEN UP WHEN THE RPM RAISES TO 1000 OR SO. AS THE HEADS ARE REWORKED 452'S AND THE PISTONS ARE KB 146 QUENCH TYPE AND THE CAM IS .509 LIFT WITH A 292 DURATION. THIS AS FAR AS YOU CAN GO WITHOUT MODIFYING THE ROCKERS. SO THE COMPRESSION IS HIGH.
MOST OF THE TIME I DE-TUNE THE TIMING AND STAY OFF THE DEEP FOOT STUFF. IT STILL HAS ENOUGH POWER TO MAKE A SUNDAY RIDE FUN.

WHEN I WANT MORE POWER I NEED TO RUN AN OCTANE BOOSTER TO GET THE TIMING TO A MORE PRODUCTIVE AREA { ADVANCED } THIS METHOD WORKS OK FOR ME BUT SOMEWHAT A PAIN IN THE REAR. IF I WERE TO KEEP THE CAR I WOULD EXPLORE ALUMINUM HEADS AND MAYBE A LESS RADICAL CAM THIS WOULD LOWER THE COMPERESION AND THE HEADS WILL COOL MORE EFFICIENTLY ALTHOUGH I LOVE THE WAY IT SOUNDS WITH THE DUAL EXHAUST SOUNDS AND THIS CAM. STRAIGHT PUMP HIGH TEST AND NO RETUNNING MAY BE YOUR THING, HOWEVER I LIKE TO PLAY WITH THE SET UP.

Not being a gearhead yet, most of this is Greek to me. Anybody care to give an opinion of the above setup? The investment in parts may affect your opinion of the price.

Also, the wing is an original. It didn't come on the car (though I'd like to see a slant 6 with a wing), but it isn't a reproduction. If I ended up restoring the car or doing some of the light rust work, I'd probably remove the wing and patch the mounting holes as I'm not really into the wing look.

Thanks for any input you guys can give...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007 - 08:22:15 PM by willhaven »

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007 - 09:16:15 PM »
He didnt mention a stall speed converter. A 292 cam/509 needs a high stall converter. And even with all his talk on the engine.   It's a medioker. Hyperutechtic pistons and open chamber heads. depending on head gaskets, its around 10/1 or so. Sounds like he hasn't got it tuned or jetted good for him to worry about it overheating. Ask him how much for the car minus the 440 and trans. Sounds like you don't want it anyways, and you will be insecure not knowing anything about it. I think you're the type that would like to hear it is a stock 440 with a small cam and aluminum intake. Feel him out, but the engine isn't any better then the average weekend racer having fun. The pistons aren't race pistons either. The carb needs tuning and timing set right to run cooler, plus the cooling system may be lacking somewhere too.

Offline 1BADFISH

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007 - 09:29:41 PM »
71 Barracuda started off life as a /6 car. It now has a 1969 dated 440 with a column shift auto transmission. The motor has a new cam and heads and some upgrades, though nothing radical. 4 barrel carb.

Restoration was done in the mid 90s, no signs anywhere of any serious rust, but the underbody isn't detailed or anything like that. Some bubbling in the lower corner of the driver door. He says he took off the inside door panel and sees no signs from the inside of any issues, so it's probably somewhat minor rust. The paint is otherwise quite nice and presentable. Grille looks clean and straight.

It's got a go wing, dual painted mirrors, fender gills, rocker gill mouldings & 440 billboards. No A/C, though it does have power steering and power brakes.

The interior is very clean. Seats, dash, carpet, headliner and all glass are great.

He says it needs new tires because he has a heavy foot. :biggrin:

Any guesstimates? I was thinking anywhere in the 30-35K range would be reasonable. His price isn't much above that, so I would assume there is some wiggle room there. Especially when considering paint bubbles, lack of A/C, column shift and the need to spend hundreds on new tires.

I just thought I'd get a 2nd opinion. Thanks!
check your inbox...

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline willhaven

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007 - 11:57:55 PM »
He says it's got a new stall converter.

I'd be more apprehensive about doing a motor and tranny swap before I could have it as a driver than dealing with any little demons that might arise from the setup he has. I don't even have my garage set up or tools ready yet. This would be my first muscle car so I'd kind of get things as I need them.

If I had any problems with the car as it sits, I'm sure I could get a pretty good diagnosis and plan of attack from all of you guys who know your stuff.

Thanks for all the help so far. I'll keep you guys posted.