Challenger T/A Recreations

Author Topic: Challenger T/A Recreations  (Read 2418 times)

Offline stwizard

Challenger T/A Recreations
« on: November 29, 2006 - 05:58:21 PM »
If the average value of a 1970 Challanger JH23 with a 318 engine is $19000.00 or with a 340 engine is $21000.00 what would the value for the same car be if someone turns it into a T/A clone?

I ask because there are T/A clones on ebay which look to be extremely nice cars, but they are wanting big money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290050066592&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RESTORED-1970-DODGE-CHALLENGER-TA-340-SIX-PACK-CLONE_W0QQitemZ300055141977QQihZ020QQcategoryZ6198QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Both of these cars are clones with non-matching engines, one was an original 340 car and the other a 318 car.

My question is, are these clones really worth the money being asked for them?

Any comments welcomed...

Thanks,

Mike

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
Re: Challenger T/A Recreations
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006 - 06:02:27 PM »
Mike, I'm on the same boat you are. Been looking at, talking to the owners about these cars for a while. Just not sure if I would pay the kind of money they are demanding. The green one sounds like a really nice car having numbers tranny and originally a 340 car. Not so sure about the orange one.

Are you close to any of these cars where you can look at them?

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline stwizard

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006 - 07:12:46 PM »
Greetings 1BADFISH,

I'm about 4-1/2 hours from either car.  I have emailed the guy on the green car and received several more photos on the car.  If you are interested in seeing them I could forward to you.

Some of the things he said in his repies to me are:

correct 340 cu.in (nom)/ 727 automatic/ original rear end  83/4 355 sure grip---------------power steering and power DISC brakes-----

very clean straight car thru-out

no build sheet/ the fender tag matche the vin on the dash AND the door tag

the car runs/ stops/ drives extremely nice-----------no rattles/ squeaks------very very tight and solid

the trunk picture came out poorly------------car is verydetailed thru-out

body and paint i would rate at 9+

interior needs nothing/ the radio is not original however is a replacement you get from like year one (has mopar on the front) fits the factory hole and does work

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006 - 07:30:33 PM »
Yeah thats basically the same things he told me...sounds like the better of the 2 cars for sure. I really want a 4spd and not sure if I want to spend that kind of money and then do a 4spd swap. It would be worth it if the rest of the car was near perfect.

The orange car doesn't look nearly as good, originally a 318 car, looks like a 7 1/4 rear end so I doubt its a sure grip, mufflers are wrong style for a T/A and there are a number of other little things.

Bother cars look decent if the price was right IMO. If you look at either one and pass I would like to hear what they were like.

Cheers
Dave

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006 - 07:43:35 PM »
A clone to me is just a street rod. A basic price then the cost of the parts.  Can that car be built for less money? Are you wanting a so so show car or a street rod? #'s cars are the higher dollar cars, clones are a hit and miss in all areas.

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006 - 07:52:43 PM »
Me personally, I want a clean car that is not a basket case. I prefer the looks of the trans am cars and thats what I had and would like to have again one day. If money wasn't an issue, i'd have a real AAR, for now I want a clean recreation that I can have fun with.   :thumbsup:  The green one for example is a real 340 car with a numbers matching tranny and its painted in its original color. I would assume it is the more valuable of the two cars....but the color isn't as desirable.

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline stwizard

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006 - 07:56:17 PM »
I know car are only worth what someone is willing to pay, but I guess what I'm asking is, what are those two cars worth, not necessarily to me, but what should they sell for, based on what they are?  

I have not had much luck in finding anything just yet, still considering my options.

What I really want is a 340 4 Speed, # matching Challenger or Cuda. 

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006 - 07:58:13 PM »
As you say, a car is worth what someone will pay for it.

With clones/recreations/whatever you want to call them...condition and build quality are EVERYTHING. Is the car just a bunch of decals and spoilers, or is it a nicely done car with attention to detail?

I obtained my T/A clone in a trade...I figure I have 34K in the car at the outset...already have another 4K in parts and probably about 2K more to spend.
Now my car will have all new or restored trim, body/paint is show quality, all panels are originals with exception of the RR quarter. 6 pak setup is off of a T/A (carbs, intake, air cleaner,linkage, fuel lines, even the valve covers are legit T/A pieces). Radiator is off the T/A also, radiator opening is now 26inch.  Rallye gages, restored rim-blo, power discs, power steering, front and rear sway bars, correct spare setup in trunk, etc, etc... 70 casting date 340, stock specs, 4 speed with 3.91 sure-grip 8 3/4. 15 inch rallyes.

Car was a rare factory FM3 Deputy, i have the buildsheet. I've been offered 40K for the car. I dont think this one will leave here unless someone is willing to pay me obscene money for this car. Real FM3 cars are not too common.

I guess my point is there are a lot of variables when it comes to this type car, and the value can really be all over the place. As usual, you pay for quality.

daves70

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006 - 08:04:22 PM »
Mike, I'm on the same boat you are. Been looking at, talking to the owners about these cars for a while. Just not sure if I would pay the kind of money they are demanding. The green one sounds like a really nice car having numbers tranny and originally a 340 car. Not so sure about the orange one.

Are you close to any of these cars where you can look at them?

:clueless:

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006 - 08:09:01 PM »
:clueless:

Haha, Dave, that not make any sence to you..lol. I was just wondering if stwizard was close or looked at these cars. I have talked to the guy a few times about the green one I pm'd you about but its the color that is holding me back.

Dave

Dave
Charlottetown, PE

Offline stwizard

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006 - 08:14:46 PM »
Dave,

Everytime I see your car in one of these post I end up drooling on my keyboard.  That is ONE SWEET RIDE.  But replacing these keyboards is getting rather costly.

Mike

daves70

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006 - 09:52:49 AM »
Dave,

Everytime I see your car in one of these post I end up drooling on my keyboard.  That is ONE SWEET RIDE.  But replacing these keyboards is getting rather costly.

Mike
THANX!!! :grinyes: