How do you guys feel about clones?

Author Topic: How do you guys feel about clones?  (Read 129362 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Re: How do you guys feel about clones?
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2005 - 03:49:37 PM »
I was at a local show a couple years ago and they put a trailer queen restored clone Hemicuda in the modified class.It was an awesome looking car with paint daubs,dealer prep tags etc. but I don`t think it was fair to put that up against a bunch of modified drivers like mine.Trailer queens and clones should have thier own class IMO.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2005 - 03:52:27 PM »
Yeah, I'd love to see a trailor queen class(LOL). That would fix 'em!!!

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2005 - 03:54:50 PM »
And the winner of the class gets a tiara and a pretty pink bow !LMAO
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2005 - 04:46:35 PM »
Some intresting views here.....if your "clone" or whatever else you want to call it, ( recreation, replica, fake, modified) were in a general make show, as long as it appears to be stock, most people wont know the difference.

My 71 draws a lot of attention wherever it goes, and at general make shows i sometimes get asked if it's "real"...i always answer "Yes, thats a real hemi"   Then proceed to say it's a "V" code 440-6 car from the factory.

Would i prefer to have an original R code car...you bet!  But i like the fact i've been able thru the years to own many nice cars and get to experience different cars, and still have $$ to spend on other things more important than Mopars (like my kids).

I can say my clone cars dont drive any worse than the original cars I've owned, and as a matter of fact the 71 is nicer than an original since i can run radials, have frame connectors, polygraphite bushings, aftermarket large diameter sway bars, and 3 inch exhaust without getting all worked up about how I've deviated from "stock".

I appreciate all MOPARS, and i think the bottom line is it's YOUR car, do what you want with it! I love seeing the numbers, paint sploch restos, and the wildly modified cars too, as well as the clones, replicas, whatever.

Just my .02

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2005 - 04:54:27 PM »
Well said Larry, but if you ever get tired of that lowly "V" code car... Umm, I think I could take it off your hands(LOL) >

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2005 - 01:05:53 PM »
MEK, you know the saying, everything is for sale for the right price! Make me an offer i cant refuse!   LOL

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2005 - 02:19:16 PM »
  OMG Rev,
   I NEVER even thought of that!!! I hope she doesn't see this thread. I'm doomed otherwise. Maybe you should be my editor-in -chief to prevent me from making a fool of myself???(if you don't charge too much)

Mike

Don't worry Mike, with the new business I have been way too busy to keep up with how confused you are!  Rest assured, I am keeping all of this in the back of my mind for a later date!  LOL  (insert waving smiley!)

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2005 - 02:51:38 PM »
several years ago in englishtown there was a 6cyl cloned to a 440-6 pack and put in my class as a modified e-body....lucky e-town judges moved him into another class..

Why was it lucky?

I have a 72 swinger that is a creation of Mopar parts that did not come on that car. It was done as a nut and bolt correct paint daub, part finishes/colors type car. I enter it in the modified classes because it is not original. I don't have any aftermarket parts on it but it can't be called stock, so where should it go?

I have a numbers R/T convertible. I could care less if a clone was in the stock class providing it was a duplication of what was available the year the car was produced. 
As long as the car is judged for "the quality of the work" and not "the desireability" that is all I ask for.

I think real cars will always be held in higher regard/value due to their pedigree, clones are an affordable alternative for someone to own their dream car and enjoy it withouth tainting the gene pool so to speak.

Yes I like real cars, Yes I like clones! They each serve a purpose.(happy smiles here)
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2005 - 02:57:10 PM »

I agree with JS27, I give big ups to the guys who restore the none numbers cars to factory correct condition.
It sure must be hard having a free fire at doing a car up with all the modifications out and still keeping it stock.

I know if I had a shell and an engine choice the car would not be factory, it would be worked in every which way.
For that alone they deserve a trophy! lol

0.02c
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2005 - 05:48:34 AM »
I agree that whether it`s real,a clone or modified the car should be judged on the quality of the work.Almost all shows have separate classes for stock and modified b/c they are judged on slightly different criteria.Clones are not stock b/c of numbers but are done to look stock so they don`t really fit in either class.My car is a driver and far from show quality in some areas but it`s still sucks to judged against a trailer queen Hemi clone.
Jeff
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline hotrod98

• Maniac Musclecars
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2005 - 08:23:21 AM »
I sold a real N96 shaker 340 cuda and ended up with enough money to build two real nice clones. The 71 was a gran coupe that needed a total resto and the 73 was a shell with doors and fenders. Since I have no plans to resell them, I just built them the way that I wanted. We drive them to the shows no matter how far away. We drove several hundred miles in August to the show in Branson. The 73 took first place in "original 73 up class" (that's the class they put it in) and the 71 took second place in "muscle car". If people ask, I tell them that they're clones. I still worry about people hitting them, but I'm not going to let it keep me from driving them.
1971 Cuda, Tor-red, Bench seat
1971 Cuda Drag Car
1973 Cuda Clone, EFI/OD Limelight
1970 Superbird (Yes, it's real) Black Ice
1971 Barracuda Sassy Grass Green (sold)
1970 Challenger RT SE 383 Plum Crazy
1969 Road Runner Hardtop
1968 Road Runner Coupe (sold)

www.maniacmusclecars.com

Offline whitesatinmopar

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 3/30/02
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2005 - 08:44:14 AM »
I bought this "whatgacallit" as you see it, except it had no engine,tranny, drive train, interrior (absolutely none!), hell, it didn't even have any old worn out shocks on it,lol. The guy was going to put it on the strip, so why he added the R/R badging I don't know? All I know is I've slowly been working on it for the last three years, I drove it for the first time on Oct. 2nd, and whatever you want to call it, it is one d@mn blast to feel the torque and horsepower under your ass! What do I call it? My "Lil street b!tch", lol. Now.........to get the 3" exhaust and Flowmaster 40's installed so she is a bit more legal to drive down the road,lol. Oh, and thanks to Rev and Red,  my wife insisted the car be equipped with those electric cut outs, anything to please my honey,lol..
1969 Polara 500 vert.
1970 Charger 500
1971 Dart Swinger
1972 R/R 440+6 (wanabe)
1973 Challenger

Offline Tom Quad

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2005 - 10:19:50 AM »
I think you should save your money and not build/buy clones.  It is  a wananbee and in the end it has no real value.

I also think that unless you have an original paint true survivor muscle/classic car you should personalize the musclecar in your garage  with modern technology like stroker engines, passon 4 speeds, edelbrock shocks, 16 inch wheels, Classic a/c, cruise control etc.  It is transportation after all and not a rare picasso.  Nothing more boring than looking at 40+ AAR 'Cudas or whatever that look the same and run the 1/4 mile slow like slant sixes and get 12 mpg.   

« Last Edit: October 10, 2005 - 10:49:56 AM by 4cruzin »

Offline hemi71

• Resident
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2005 - 10:34:16 AM »
I think you should save your money and not build/buy clones.  It is  a wananbee and in the end it has no real value.   

I guess I'll have to part my 71 out since it has "no real value".  Anybody want to buy a parts car?   

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2005 - 12:23:36 PM »
Te problem with clones is that people mess with so many cars to make them, the cars they use are becomeing rare.

How many barracuda GC's have been turned into 'cudas?
True,The GC is rare anymore,most small bock gc's were cloned,unfortunatly
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3