How do you guys feel about clones?

Author Topic: How do you guys feel about clones?  (Read 128154 times)

Offline Robb

Re: How do you guys feel about clones?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2005 - 05:10:48 AM »
I guess the thing that gets me is alot of people calling their car a clone but it's not.  People don't understand that a clone is an exact copy of an original.  Exact means Exact.  Most so called clones are actually modified cars.  I saw some guy with a 74 cuda with AAR stripes down the side and he is calling it a clone.  Sorry but in order for it to be a clone . . . you need to have an original first!!  There was no round taillight AAR so there can be NO CLONE!  What a DIPSTICK! 

Wouldnt EXACT then also mean that the VIN number would have to duplicate of an original ?  To be EXACT.

Therefore by your definition....      THERE ARE NO CLONES.   only modified cars.

Either the car is original or it isnt.   end of story.

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2005 - 07:13:47 AM »
Wouldnt EXACT then also mean that the VIN number would have to duplicate of an original ?  To be EXACT.
Therefore by your definition....      THERE ARE NO CLONES.   only modified cars.
Either the car is original or it isnt.   end of story.

What he means is that HE is defining a clone as a car that has been modified to CORRECTLY duplicate a model that the factory actually did build.  Sort of like this, if you took a 71 Challenger and made it look like the T/A they advertised in the 71 brochure, you WOULD NOT have a clone because Chrysler Corp. never actually BUILT a 71 Challenger T/A.  You would however have a very nice car that would probably command a very high dollar depending on the quality of the "cloning", which kind of makes me say if I had one (in excellent condition) I wouldn't really care what any one else thought ! ! ! !  I still have to ask, what difference does it make if the owner is happy? Who is any one else to say what is good or bad unless the guy is LYING in order to take advantage of someone else, in which case that person NEEDS to be put in his place.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005 - 07:17:23 AM by ROMI »

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2005 - 07:41:07 AM »

First of all for a newbie you have a great future here, excellent first topic!! Welcome aboard.

IMO there are many different variations:

#1 Numbers Matching Correct show car - The exact same appearance to how they left the factory.
#2 Survivor - Low/moderate mileage cars, unrestored #'s cars in moderate/excellent condition (Rag-tops 440/HEMI's get noticed more).
#3 Custom - Cars with no boundaries, can be # matching cars with modifications and/or non numbers cars, Blowers, custom interior etc
#4 Restificated - #'s cars which have had modern upgrades in most case minor to rid factory "bugs". How they should have been built.
#5 Clones - Replicas of a particular model: same year, engine, exterior and interior options as an original car would have.
#6 Hybrid - Cars which are bits of everything imaginable, from 9" Ford rear ends to Viper conversions.

I have nothing against clones. Mine is not 100% correct but is a numbers car. I have everything needed in storage to return it to it's original factory appreance. I would consider my car a restificated car. Has very minor modern or electronic upgrades. Electronic dizzy, GPS alarm, Pioneer headunit, Headers/Exhaust, Blacked out underneath, sound deadner lined trunk, Viscus fan etc...all help the car.

Anyway, if it's MoPar it'll have my support.

NZ440R/T
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005 - 08:06:49 AM by NZ440R/T »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Burpin Chunks

• http://mikescuda.net/cuda-challenger/burpin_chunks
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2005 - 07:44:39 AM »
Burpin thinks it it werent for clones, then the chances of seeing a true 71 hemi convert would be rare. Secondly if it werent for clones Burpin wouldnt get too see so many fake boobies.  :)

Offline Robb

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2005 - 09:04:28 AM »
What he means is that HE is defining a clone as a car that has been modified to CORRECTLY duplicate a model that the factory actually did build.  Sort of like this, if you took a 71 Challenger and made it look like the T/A they advertised in the 71 brochure, you WOULD NOT have a clone because Chrysler Corp. never actually BUILT a 71 Challenger T/A.  You would however have a very nice car that would probably command a very high dollar depending on the quality of the "cloning", which kind of makes me say if I had one (in excellent condition) I wouldn't really care what any one else thought ! ! ! !  I still have to ask, what difference does it make if the owner is happy? Who is any one else to say what is good or bad unless the guy is LYING in order to take advantage of someone else, in which case that person NEEDS to be put in his place.

EXACT is EXACT.   there is no middle ground.

Difference is in selling value.
But also Ponder this...

Lets say Bill Gates bougth the Mona Lisa....  or someother valuable beloved art...   and lets say he decided to strip it down, have the portrait redone and few colors changed...   

Is it then "OK" for him to do that since he "Owns it" ?   or do we all lose something because of it.

If there were 5 original Mona Lisas running around, would it be ok if he did that still to the one he owned ?

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2005 - 09:20:40 AM »
Interesting question . . . I think if he owned it, he could do whatever he wanted to it!    Your statement about the VIN is a good one too and I agree.  A true clone is an exact copy so really there are no true clones.  Clone is a poor A$$ word to use anyways.  Replica would be better. 

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2005 - 09:34:49 AM »

You can clone a car to a point. as for the VIN that is illegal and can not be done.
That is very picky, not an "exact" replica but as close as possible and as legal as possible.
In my book if I saw a car that was exactly the same as an original except the VIN that's clone enough for me, definitely.

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2005 - 10:20:21 AM »
For those that can appreciate a car for the simple pleasure in it, then I can agree with a clone is as much an example of the heritage of the car that everyone is enjoying. As for those that have a problem with clones. I would have to assume they have only one thing in mind of protecting. Their investments. You never hear about the accuracy of re-creation of the clone to its original counterparts. Or even the standards that maybe should have to achieve to reach a quality and accepted status. Its only about numbers and rarity (if that's a word). That only amounts to market availability. More demand, less amount available, the higher the price. Like homes and gas. But those that still take the opportunity to create and enjoy a clone should be comended. They'er out on the streets and making noise. Good for them. The trailer park queens are just sitting their collecting dust. Can't blame them if they're really worth 3 th 4 hundred thousand. But still not the same as being lined up in a parking lot with a litlle road dirt.

Offline ROMI

• 71 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed, Lapeer Michigan
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2005 - 10:45:40 AM »
Clone is a poor A$$ word to use anyways.  Replica would be better. 

This is the best point made so far.  The rest of this stuff is way to pickey for me.  If you look back on what's been said, we just made clones extinct, don't you feel ashamed ? Better watch out for the naturalists.  Now I feel like I comitted a crime.  I better shut up before I'm arrested.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2005 - 10:55:26 AM »

Totally agree, clone is a horrible horrible word. You clone sheep, NOT MoPars! lol I have always classed them as customs myself.....

cudahob

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2005 - 12:33:57 PM »
Well before the "PC" crowds, we called'em Fakes in the 80ds. I think because there were plenty of real cars around for that word to be used. Nobody cared, I made a fake R/T too. There was no shame in saying so.
I don't know where "clone" came from, maybe from Star Wars.

This thread is a way fun topic

I call'em Mopars

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2005 - 04:08:14 PM »
Well before the "PC" crowds, we called'em Fakes in the 80ds.

lol that's funny cudahob!!  We called them "wanna-be's"   

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2005 - 05:09:26 PM »
lol that's funny cudahob!!  We called them "wanna-be's"   

Yeah,
   That's what I call my car. A 70-71 Challenger T/A wanna-be. Hey, I'll love my car eventually if I ever quit inducing more problems to it by trying to fix something(insert bang head smiley here). I'm an inept boob sometimes.(embarrassed smiley). 

I sure wish I could use the old smileys.  :grinyes:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2005 - 05:11:56 PM »
I sure wish I could use the old smileys.  :grinyes:

That makes atleast two of us. :-( <-------Cheap sad smiley version.

Offline Rev-It-Up

• Global Moderator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 2/20/02
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2005 - 05:12:49 PM »
Mike....that was waaaay to much material for April to work with!!
Rev-It-Up                                                             Yes, I'm a girl!