Author Topic: Help - asking price for my Cuda  (Read 10430 times)

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
Re: Help - asking price for my Cuda
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017 - 03:24:17 PM »
"numbers matching" and "original color (or a color offered that year" matter only to purists, enthusiasts want an attractive well built car that is reliable (read not a maintenance nightmare due to poor engineering or construction or inferior parts).

Id start at $35- 40K and entertain offers. A lot worse cars have sold for a lot more money as we all know. $30K is an honest price for a solid car, however what is in the car to the right person makes it worth more and having $10K worth of negotiating room is a good thing.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline PLUM72

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017 - 03:16:35 PM »
Look at the Hagerty valuation guide.  This is a pretty good guide with most restored cars falling in the "good" to "excellent" category.

We all love our cars and the personal choices many of us have made to them.  Doesn't matter how nice the car, someone will have a criticism about it and use it to negotiate with.  I find that most people are way over-priced on these cars.  People are asking #1 Concours prices for a car that might be a number #3 good car at best.  If you pay the high end price, just be sure you can insure the car for that amount.  This is another reason hagerty is a pretty good valuation guide.

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017 - 04:04:45 PM »
Look at the Hagerty valuation guide.  This is a pretty good guide with most restored cars falling in the "good" to "excellent" category.

We all love our cars and the personal choices many of us have made to them.  Doesn't matter how nice the car, someone will have a criticism about it and use it to negotiate with.  I find that most people are way over-priced on these cars.  People are asking #1 Concours prices for a car that might be a number #3 good car at best.  If you pay the high end price, just be sure you can insure the car for that amount.  This is another reason hagerty is a pretty good valuation guide.

I would tend to agree, the hard parts of this endeavor are what's in the car (other than factory or factory restored) and the emotional aspect. The last issue is the one that is very hard to put a price on, whether it is the buyer or the seller. I absolutely agree that many of these cars are WAY over priced especially those that still need to be built. Cars that are done are a little easier as you can point to similar vehicles to determine a bracket, but cars that still need to be built are much harder as many potential buyers do not have a good idea of what it will take and only see what they want it to be. I just looked a Challenger shell the seller wanted $12K for citing what it could become as the reason but not understanding or caring that it would take many thousands to get there or even close.
Current Mopar
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars

Offline PLUM72

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017 - 01:42:14 PM »
A lot of people try to get money out of a car comparable to what they have into it.  On the surface this sounds reasonable.  The thing most people don't understand is that unless you have a high value Hemi or 440-6 car, the restoration will cost more than the car is worth.

On a project car or most cars for that matter, in my opinion, the labor whether its yours or someone else's is worth nothing.  The parts put in are only worth a small percentage of what was paid.  While the seller might not like this, the buyer may not like what was purchased and wind up going another direction.  Its a roll of the dice if you find a buyer that appreciates what you've done, what you've bought, and is willing to pay up for it.

Offline twalker

Help - asking price for my Cuda
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017 - 04:24:06 PM »
Car just sold for 52k USD, picked up today.  Right time, right car, right buyer.  Very happy with the sale price but will miss the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline EMCD

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017 - 05:02:21 PM »
Dude, that is awesome. I'm glad you got north of $50k. Can you tell me how you found your buyer? Was it local, or did they find it via a website? I'm trying to sell mine and want the best meathod on selling.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017 - 05:04:42 PM by EMCD »

Offline twalker

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017 - 05:31:01 PM »
Dude, that is awesome. I'm glad you got north of $50k. Can you tell me how you found your buyer? Was it local, or did they find it via a website? I'm trying to sell mine and want the best meathod on selling.

I didn't have the car for sale, that's the first advantage.  A couple saw it a car show and wanted it, most importantly the wife wanted it.  Bottom line - got lucky with the right buyer and right time, right car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017 - 05:49:44 PM »
 :woo:    :cheers:    :2thumbs:   shows how little we know.... Congrats Man  :ylsuper:
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017 - 08:38:27 PM »
That's awesome, glad it worked out.

Offline AARCuda340+6

• Resident
  • Southern Ontario
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2017 - 01:23:45 AM »

You got a great price and I'm sure the new owners will enjoy their new toy.  I expect you'll be a bit sad too because you put a lot of sweat & tears into that car.

I checked into your build of the car a number of times and was amazed at the quality work and top of the line parts used.  I never made any posts to comment on your build ( I apologize for that poor judgement ) but I was hoping to see it some day at one of the local car shows in London or surrounding area, but you moved out east.

I'm sure your next project will be even more spectacular because you have more knowledge now from the Cuda build.
Thanks for sharing and all the best in your new venture.
You can call me RAY or RAYMOND or RAZOR or THE ZOR!
70 AAR Cuda
04 Rumble Bee

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2017 - 10:35:01 AM »
Car just sold for 52k USD, picked up today.  Right time, right car, right buyer.  Very happy with the sale price but will miss the car.

Holy crap!  Shows what I know!    :screwy:  making me rethink prices now!   :eek4:

Offline twalker

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2017 - 10:37:00 AM »
Holy crap!  Shows what I know!    :screwy:  making me rethink prices now!   :eek4:

Special circumstances I think here, but not complaining!

Offline twalker

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2017 - 10:39:31 AM »
You got a great price and I'm sure the new owners will enjoy their new toy.  I expect you'll be a bit sad too because you put a lot of sweat & tears into that car.

I checked into your build of the car a number of times and was amazed at the quality work and top of the line parts used.  I never made any posts to comment on your build ( I apologize for that poor judgement ) but I was hoping to see it some day at one of the local car shows in London or surrounding area, but you moved out east.

I'm sure your next project will be even more spectacular because you have more knowledge now from the Cuda build.
Thanks for sharing and all the best in your new venture.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet.  Thanks for your kind words. It's been two days since it was picked up and the garage sure feels empty.  I'm spending all my time searching craigslist and beyond for the next project...

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2017 - 11:33:16 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!!
Current Mopar
Past Mopars

Offline chargerdon

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2017 - 10:01:41 PM »
Wow...great car, wonderful price, and wonderful inspiration!!!!   

I agreed with a lot of the commentary, but, not all of it.   I loved the guy who talked about Walmart battery.   Guess what?  I put a walmart 700 CCA battery in mine two years ago, and its still going strong and turns over the engine just great.   At $89 it came with a two year replacement warranty plus 60 month pro-rated, while the $134 700 CCA battery sold at Advance Auto came with a 1 year warranty and 24 month prorated !!    Some purists are just ...well..in my opinion ...a little anal.   

In my case i bought a "PROJECT" 74 Challenger with 904 auto for $5,000.   The owner had started a restoration.  He found and bought a performance shop built 360 off of craigslist, (it came with the invoice of $3900 and parts list from the performance shop.  Talked with the shop and they figured at least 400 crank HP...   Not a beast but a great street engine. ).   He also had the interior seats reupholstered with Legendary Interiors new all white seat covers and foams.   He also put in, a full new exhaust 2 1/2" with Flowmaster 40 (original) mufflers, and a set of patriot headers.  Then he lost his job,  and wife made him sell...  so i found in my belief a real bargain.   He figured he had about $11-12K out of his pocket.   I got it for $5K.  His loss my gain.

I put into the car about $7,000 worth of parts for new Walmart battery (lol),  new Champion 26" aluminum radiator, new front windshield and Used rear window (professionally installed), new engine mounts from Mancini racing to hold that engine, new exterior door handles and new interior door and window handles, new window fuzzies, door weatherstripping, window weatherstripping, New front bumper, used console, $1400 for vintage air system (factory air long gone sold old factory box for $250).  New gas tank, and sending unit.  New dash cap, better set of good driver quality door panels, New carpeting, and new headliner.   A cheap am/fm stereo with CD and aux inputs, plus speakers...   couldn't see paying for good stereo as, the car has in it the flowmaster 40's so kinda loud to be listening to much music.  New 235x60x14 tires as my wife liked the mag wheels it came with where were 14", for spare tire went to salvage yard and picked up a like new 15" donut that fits, along with a scissors jack and handle...  they fit in a nice leather bag i picked up.   Lots of miscellaneous other parts...like, bought a new design fuse box and wired it in to the harness to replace that 43 year old rusted fuse box.   New radiator and power steering belts, and new heater hoses...   new voltage regulator...etc.   New brake pads, and front hoses..

Then I put about 500 hours of my labor into restoring it and installing everything !!...  put whatever value on that that you may...   I figure about $20 hr patching the rust on rear quarter panels, and around rear window it was rust free from doors forward.  I also then overhauled the 904 with new torque converter (2500 stall), and new seals and clutches.  Then stripped down the entire body (chemical paint remover), and put on the Epoxy primer, and 2k primers, and blocked it twice.   I figure that if i had to pay a restoration shop for all of this the, car would quickly cost more than it is worth.   so  500 x $20 =$10,000.  Oh I also "grafted" from a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee the power seat track...so i now have a power seat...   that was a lot of work !! 

Lastly, I paid $2500 to a professional painter to do the Final blocking, shooting of Plum crazy urethane and clear paint).   It came out great...   

So, adding it all up
$5K for car/engine +$7k parts + $2.5 K to painter = $14,500 total money investment plus 500 hours $10,000 of my labor i've got about $25,000 invested in her.   

Still could use a new rear bumper (their hard to find for a 74, and 70-73 will fit, but only if you buy the matching bumper support brackets).   Also, it needs some kind of striping on it...haven't decided yet what to put on.   Also still needed is to swap out the rear differential.   Right now it has the original factory 2.73 open diff, that does nothing for the built 360 (it has in it a Mopar Performance 508 292 duration cam).   I bought a used 3.23 suregrip, and debating whether to change the ring/pinion to 3.55 before installing.   I also bought (its in the $7k parts) a used A518 overdrive auto...  but, its a lot of work to put in, and i should rebuild it before putting it in.   If I do would probably change the rear diff ring/pinion to about a 3.71...   so holding up on both while i think about it.    Also, haven't installed the rocker panel trim, and don't have wheel well trim. 

At this point, i think the car is worth in the $25-35K range...   It isn't for sale anyways as i'm now enjoying it...  Now if someone offered me $52K i could reluctantly change my mind, but doubt it that will happen..