Author Topic: '32 Coupe WIW  (Read 5931 times)

Offline dfrazz

• 1970 Cuda - 1968 Charger
  • Resident
'32 Coupe WIW
« on: September 04, 2015 - 10:40:16 AM »
Something a little different.  I have my eye on a '32 Coupe and I want your opinions on value and the good, bad and ugly of anyone who has experience with owning/driving one.  I have not owned one but love 'em.  I want an open motor, no or very little fenders, suicide doors,  and doesn't have to be all steel. 

Here are the details and pics:

http://cars-on-line.com/80544.html

Professionally built in 2005. PPG black exterior with ultra leather red interior. Coast to Coast fiberglass body and frame. 350 (ZZ3) Chevy crate motor - 330 HP, 350 automatic with shift kit and stall converter. Ford 9" rear-end. Polished Salt Flat wheels (15" x 7" front, 15" x 8" rear), B. F. Goodrich tires. Remote windows, doors and trunk. VDO gauges, power brakes, Vintage heat and air, headlights with directionals inside, parking lights built in grill. Stainless grill, removable top hood (steel). 40 series Flowmaster exhaust with stainless tips. '37 Ford glass taillights with blue dots. Tea's seat. Locar shifter and emergency brake handle. Polished tilt steering column. Power windows and trunk. Custom floor mats and trunk mat. 1,800 miles.
Price - $ 43,000

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
Re: '32 Coupe WIW
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015 - 11:42:10 AM »
That's a beauty Frazz.  But the thing about these street rods is that 99 % have sbc power plants. After awhile they all look alike. Now, if you want to stand out from the crowd, I just happen to have this little feller for sale. I've been caring for and maintaining  this car for years.. Last year I completely rewired her, added the dual quads and recently installed new 3:70 posi chunk in the 9 inch. And it's a 5 speed   :burnout:      He loves this car but wants a 67 GTX finished car.   http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/5188812835.html

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015 - 02:31:14 PM »
They are a lot smaller inside than you'd think. If you are very broad shouldered at all, your going to feel cramped.

Offline Mickm

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015 - 03:41:46 PM »
Dfrazz,
I have more years and experience in street rods than I care to admit. I have built, owned and sold many and I can tell you the '32, while be one of the coolest car designs ever is a small
vehicle.  I am 6' tall and 200 lbs and I am about as big as will fit comfortably within the confines of a '32, '33 or '34 coupe. I just sold my '33-3 window last year after getting tire of the wife and I being cramped on trips. Also, a small single bag and a pair of sneakers is about all the luggage you will have room for.

A more important thought should be the fiberglass body. I'll probably get thrown under the bus for saving this out loud but I  have always owned steel street rods because fiberglass cars are a dime a dozen. For $35K you can get a ton of completed cars with twice that amount invested in them. Simply, they don't sell very easy. 

So if you buy one, be sure you like it !

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

MickM

Offline garity

• 74 Challenger
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015 - 04:35:25 PM »
I have a 32 Plymouth coupe, but it is mostly stock. I may part with it eventually.

Offline dfrazz

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015 - 04:50:11 PM »
Dfrazz,
I am 6' tall and 200 lbs and I am about as big as will fit comfortably within the confines of a '32, '33 or '34 coupe. I just sold my '33-3 window last year after getting tire of the wife and I being cramped on trips. Also, a small single bag and a pair of sneakers is about all the luggage you will have room for.

A more important thought should be the fiberglass body. I'll probably get thrown under the bus for saving this out loud but I  have always owned steel street rods because fiberglass cars are a dime a dozen. For $35K you can get a ton of completed cars with twice that amount invested in them. Simply, they don't sell very easy. 

So if you buy one, be sure you like it !

Hope this helps,
Cheers!

Thanks guys for your help.  I knew they were small but I am 6'2" and 200 lb (depending on if its holidays or not).  I think I will be a little cramped too.  I heard they are really stiff too, which doesn't bother me if its driving around town but could get annoying on long drive. There is a roadster locally for sale that I'm going to go check out to see if I like it.

Offline dfrazz

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015 - 07:23:30 PM »
Here is a video guys.  Open to all opinions....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGZtm_QgG0k

Offline dave73chally

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015 - 11:23:44 AM »
I love them, hope to have one one day. Love the color combo. I agree on the fiberglass body, they are rad but will never bring  a lot of money. That being said, a real steel 32 ford is an absolute fortune so fiberglass is a good way to get into the same car but drive it and enjoy it. I believe coast to coast is a reputable fiberglass builder, do a search on them for quality. A lot of repop 32s are made by bebops, outlaw, downs. Brookville out of pa makes repro steel bodies but they are  :money:

My friend has a repro 32 and its gorgeous, just be ready to hear some bs from the 'traditional' rodders that will call the car a 'cookie cutter' because of the fiberglass. Personally, I would care because it's sweet looking
73 Challenger
512 / 4spd / Hotchkis & QA1 Suspension

Offline Mickm

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015 - 05:33:11 PM »
dfrazz,
If you interested the '33 & '34 Ford coupes are about 4" wider than it's '32 counterpart.
While they are still small the additional room is a hugh help.

Cheers!
Mickm
MickM

Offline dfrazz

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2015 - 10:31:59 PM »
dfrazz,
If you interested the '33 & '34 Ford coupes are about 4" wider than it's '32 counterpart.
While they are still small the additional room is a hugh help.

Cheers!
Mickm

Thanks, this is good to know.

Offline anlauto

• Permanent Resident
  • I'm Alan G...I'm a Mopar Addict
    • Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015 - 10:37:28 PM »
You want a Chev powered Ford :screwy: What's this world coming to ?  This is a Mopar site right ? :banghead:
I've taught you everything you know.....but I haven't taught you everything I know !
www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Offline garity

• 74 Challenger
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015 - 07:14:04 AM »
I wholeheartedly concur Alan. I would not want to let someone put that crap in a car like this. -

-

Offline Mickm

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015 - 10:26:42 AM »
The reason so many put Chevy engines in all different year hotrods is simple.  GM motors share a lot of common parts across the board where Ford and others do not.
Also, everyone makes chrome and aluminum aftermarket bling for the GM but not many others. 
Plus, if you have a GM power plant and break down on the road, you have a much better chance of getting the parts you need at any local part house.

Just thought i'd share.

Cheers!
Mickm
MickM

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015 - 10:44:43 AM »
Yeah, and you can rebuild them for $500.  Still doesn't mean I'd  crossbred them into anything that din't come with them originally.

I'll  change a lot of things in a vehicle, but not power plants.

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015 - 06:19:43 PM »
No fenders, no running boards, Flathead Ford V8, optional red high heels. Whats not to love.   :stirpot:   :poopoke:

:rebel: