Barracuda Challenger Forum

Author Topic: Hub caps from Challenger past, what to do?  (Read 253 times)

Online DrEamer

Hub caps from Challenger past, what to do?
« on: July 16, 2017 - 11:32:59 pm »
I talked to my dad the other day, and he said he had found the set of hub caps from my 72 Challenger when I had it. I went over and picked them up, but I'm not sure what to do with them. They are the generic 14 inch Dodge caps that were not specific to the Challenger. I checked, and they certainly  don't command top dollar with most sets selling for under $30 on eBay.  So, what do I do with these things? I have thought about turning them into clocks, but open to other ideas that someone might have.

Well, I had to start somewhere.

Offline Cudakiller70

Re: Hub caps from Challenger past, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017 - 12:45:15 am »
Burdars father in law made some into banjos
Auto spell I'm tired of your shirt
The above is just my opinion
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.
Up to 4000 RPM, Warp Speed, Up to 5000, Rediculous Speed, Up to 6000 RPM, Ludicrous Speed!

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017 - 05:23:57 am »
Flee-bay are full of items that are over priced, you can put what you want on an item but whether it sells is another thing. These hub caps may be in good condition so are highly desired but the right person needs to see the ad.

Good Luck   :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017 - 09:30:52 am »
Burdars father in law made some into banjos

Yes he does.  He cuts the outer section off and just uses the center.  Last year I saw some of those for sale at $10 each so they definitely aren't worth much. 

Personally, I'd just use them as garage art.  You can hang them on the wall as-is or do your clock idea.  I've got my 68 Dart's trunk lid panel on my wall.  I've thought about mounting the old tail light lenses/bezels on the wall next to it.  I could even wire some lights behind it.  I'm going to do the same thing with my Dart's front grill/headlight surrounds.  I can mount some cheap halo headlights in them too.

If you made the hubcaps into clocks, you can keep one for yourself and sell the rest.  I'm sure you could get more money for a hubcap clock then the cap itself is worth.

If they are in REALLY nice shape, there's no reason why you can't put a higher price on them and try to sell them.  You never know who might be looking for a really nice set.  If you don't find anyone that's interested, start building clocks.  :2cents:

Offline Cudakiller70

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017 - 05:48:19 pm »
Burdar, does he still make and sell hub cap banjos? Any on eBay now?
Auto spell I'm tired of your shirt
The above is just my opinion
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
John Adams

Offline burdar

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017 - 09:09:03 am »
He's got a bunch of banjos in his garage.  He started making them out of old cookie tins.  Then he made some out of hub caps.  Lately, he's been making them out of old cigar boxes.  He's sold a few at small consignment type shops and has given away others to family and friends.  He doesn't do anything on E-bay.  If you PM me your info, I can forward it along to him.   

Online DrEamer

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017 - 12:12:12 am »
Well,  don't play the banjo, so that is out. I'll probably just go ahead and do the clock thing.  My thought is to start with the most dented one for practice, and if it turns out, I might make the others to sell.   
Well, I had to start somewhere.