Author Topic: Door and quarter glass install  (Read 9195 times)

Offline peterro

• 70 Challenger in progress...
    • The Pistonhead
Door and quarter glass install
« on: July 19, 2010 - 03:37:50 PM »
Hey all, I spent the better part of Saturday looking for parts for my doors to get the handles/linkage put together and start finding all the parts for the glass install. I believe I've found all the parts I have but the problem is that It's been about a decade since they were taken apart and I'm having some problems getting them back in.

I've searched other threads on here and have my service manual but it didn't help much. Pictures or those with recent experience would help greatly. Currently the glass is winning.

Q1: For the door, I have the front and rear tracks in place though loosely attached. I have the regulator greased/installed and all the glides on the glass have been replaced. The struggle I'm having is that I can't seem to get the glass in the door while getting the glides to run in the front guide. Is there an order of events or special contortion I need to perform to get the glass in the door with all the hardware?

Q2: I need to know where and how (hardware) the up-stops are installed. I believe there is also an anti-rattle thing that should go in somewhere. Does anyone have any pictures since as they say, picture=1000 words.

Q3: Some of the hardware I'm missing are the bolts/screws to attach the glass (both door and 1/4) to the regulator. What are the types/sizes?

Q4: Is there a special order of events for installing the 1/4 glass? Basically the same question as for the door.

Q5: I really don't remember what the up-stops and anti-rattle hardware looks like or where it goes for the 1/4 glass.

Thanks in advance.

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
Re: Door and quarter glass install
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010 - 11:16:04 PM »

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010 - 12:54:16 AM »
The glass will just fit into the slides & into the door , I leave out the top bolt on the front slide & remove the rear slide entirely until the glass is in the door then add the rear slide & secure the top of the front slide.
 The regulator I install after the glass is in also ,
 The rear slide uses & not on the rear slide plate to securethe rail , the front uses a machine thread phillips screw .
 The up stops & anti rattle supports changed year to year
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010 - 12:57:53 AM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010 - 01:28:52 AM »
Thanks for the hints, I may give it a shot tomorrow evening.

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010 - 03:55:08 PM »
Excellent, I still need some hardware but I can take care of that. I now have the glass AND the regulator/tracks installed.

For a 1970 Challenger, where are the up-stops installed (both door and 1/4) and is it just a nut on the back of the alen bolt? Some pictures might be nice from someone who has done this recently.

Thanks again

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010 - 04:11:01 PM »
here`s 70 cuda 1/4.  not sure but I suppose it pretty much the same.  green is upper and purple is lower stop adjustment.  Can`t help you with the doors, I`m getting ready to start on that myself...

*** Bart ***