Author Topic: New to the Forum  (Read 268 times)

Offline bmcc2584

New to the Forum
« on: January 31, 2021 - 12:07:52 PM »
Hey everyone New guy here. I've dreamed of owning a Cuda' ever since I was a kid and finally get the opportunity to buy one next week.
Its a Restored 1973 4 speed 340. Ill be converting it over to a big block probably within a year.

Few questions I have.
I see they make a Borla exhaust system for the 71 but not 73. Has anyone tried to see if it fits a 73?
I know ill need bell housing, motor mounts and wiring harness for the conversion. Will i need anything else? upgrade the clutch? 

thanks for the warm welcome
Brent

Offline jimynick

• Resident
Re: New to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021 - 12:12:12 PM »
Brent, welcome to the forum and congrats on your recent purchase! I believe you will need to either alter or replace the engine harness going from small block to big. I also believe the clutch will cross over and there's no difference exhaust-wise between a 71 or a 73, so you should be good to go there.  :cheers:

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021 - 12:29:08 PM »
Welcome to the site!  Yep, what he said!   :ylsuper:  Good luck with your Cuda! 

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021 - 01:01:10 PM »
Welcome to the site.

Since it seems like you don't have a lot of experience with these cars let me offer some information. Reference your questions; as Ian said the exhaust is the same. Reference the clutch, it depends on what you engine you put into the car, if it is relatively stock then pretty much any appropriate clutch will work (perhaps the one you have now).

Why do you want to go to a big block? I have 2 E bodies, a Challenger with a 440 and a 73 Cuda with a 416 stroker (stroked 340). The stroker makes really decent power (500+) but it doesn't have the weight. Don't go to a BB just because you think its expected or "better". Nothing against a big block but with today's technology and parts you can make a SB produce near or the same power levels.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline bmcc2584

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021 - 06:19:24 PM »
Welcome to the site.

Since it seems like you don't have a lot of experience with these cars let me offer some information. Reference your questions; as Ian said the exhaust is the same. Reference the clutch, it depends on what you engine you put into the car, if it is relatively stock then pretty much any appropriate clutch will work (perhaps the one you have now).

Why do you want to go to a big block? I have 2 E bodies, a Challenger with a 440 and a 73 Cuda with a 416 stroker (stroked 340). The stroker makes really decent power (500+) but it doesn't have the weight. Don't go to a BB just because you think its expected or "better". Nothing against a big block but with today's technology and parts you can make a SB produce near or the same power levels.

Im addicted to low end torque...  Ive mostly owned modern Camaros up until this point. I know theyre apples to oranges at this point. Im willing to learn the to do and not to do.

Ill also be installing a shaker hood at some point. So ill need some help choosing the best aftermarket option i can. Ive seen a few posts for  shakerhood.com and they seem to have quality materials.

thanks again for the kind words
Brent